Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Allergic-type skin reaction after sickness bug... driving me mad!

(6 Posts)
RinkyDinkyPinky Fri 24-Jul-09 21:45:17

I've come out in itchy weals (I don't know if this is hives?) two days after having a sickness bug.

My DDs both had the sickness bug last week- consisting of one day of tiredness and vomitting then all ok. It's done the rounds at DD1's nursery and friends. No one else has had a skin reaction. I was sick on Wed and now fine in my tummy BUT my skin is itchy and patches of little red swollen bumps keep appearing. All over to varying degrees.

There's been no change in washing powder etc...

What can I do? Should I take anti-histamines? (There's a bottle of kids Piriton in the meds cabinet.)

Please help- it's driving me bonkers!

morningsuncanslay Fri 24-Jul-09 22:58:03

weals are raised white areas,with redness often around and are fluid under the skin caused by an allergic reaction.It can occur in the lips and eyes too~this is called angiodoema and is more serious.
Antihistamines should help.
The cause can be a virus,an allergen [food etc]or unknown.

If it is very extensive/making you feel ill/dizzy or is in mouth/tongue seek medical help.

morningsuncanslay Fri 24-Jul-09 23:00:39

sorry should have said is called urticaria and it is the same as hives.
They come and go in different areas and come up more when scratched,and are intensely itchy.
That is what it sounds like anyway.

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Fri 24-Jul-09 23:11:37

You have my sympathy - they're horrible.
I'd go to the GP for strong AHs plus cream.
It does shift around the body, it reached the palms of my hands and the soles of my feet when I had it - hope yours clears soon!

trixymalixy Fri 24-Jul-09 23:33:52

It can be quite common to develop a temporary allergy to certain things particularly dairy products after having an upset stomach.

Take the piriton and try and take some probiotics and prebiotics to try and rebalance the bacteria in your gut.

RinkyDinkyPinky Sat 25-Jul-09 08:12:26

Thanks everyone, I took the AH's and my skin is calming down. I'll look up prebiotics and maybe epsom salt baths?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now