Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

treatment for parvo virus B19 in adults

(2 Posts)
alypaly Wed 22-Jul-09 23:19:47

I suffered from aching joints in hands wrists, hips and fingers, hot face and scalp, itching of face and scalp, exhaustion,cramping bowel and just general malaise.
All blood tests came normal, gastroscopy, endoscopy normal. ct and mri scan normal. Tested for sarcoid ( scary in itself). Afetr 3 years of being told there was nothing wrong with me i worked it back to when i first fell ill and my son had contracted parvovirus, masquerading as "slapped cheek".
Apparently if u havent had it as a child, it is like chicken pox, in that adults get it much worse.
So I then asked my consultant to test me for Parvo B19 and lo and behold my little body was swamped with the virus.
After months of trying to get help and 3 years of total exhaustion I was given intravenous immunoglobulins and within 10 days this feeling of yuppy flu had gone and i felt like a new woman. Any other adult been diagnosed with this. BTW it is very common in 5-10 years olds and when one child in a class gets it, they all seem to and it does look like slapped cheeks.I was lucky enough to have been put on a clinical trial to clear it cos i believe the injections cost a fortune.smile

alypaly Wed 22-Jul-09 23:21:16

BTW this was 7 years ago and it has never come back , Thank god!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now