Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Summary Care Record - Do I need to opt out? Will Big Brother know i have dodgy knees and 3 kids?

(6 Posts)
TheProfiteroleThief Wed 22-Jul-09 20:21:23

This seems to be sort of centralised health record on a computerised network - at first glance, but I am slightly surprised it is opt out, rather than opt in.

Anyone any experience or views

TheProfiteroleThief Wed 22-Jul-09 20:23:10

To elaborate, I have been sent notification and opt out forms from gp surgery

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Wed 22-Jul-09 21:11:33

My GP is unhappy about this, wrt the security aspect and has opt out forms in his surgery.

I don't see a problem with the initial roll out as it is just basic information I think but I'm unhappy about my whole medical history being available to anyone with a swipe card.

TheProfiteroleThief Thu 23-Jul-09 07:54:02

My history is extremely mundane, but I cannot help but think if there are ever more sensitive issues in the future - I guess, mental health, STIs, top issues (none of which I intend to have).

Nor do I have dramatic allergies that mean I would benefit from this. Even if I did, I think I'd prefer the medic alert jewellery route.

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Thu 23-Jul-09 11:33:30

Yes - exactly. My dd has chronic health issues which mean her care would possibly be improved by this move. But for me, well I'd rather choose who knows my medical history.

I started a thread on this a couple of years ago when the idea first became public and was surprised at the lack of concern TBH. Especially when you see the number of people who take umbridge about ID cards.

TheProfiteroleThief Thu 23-Jul-09 12:21:11

Do you know where records are held currently? I assume some at GP surgery, and I know there is a record at my local hospital. Otherwise I have had the odd thing done at local BUPA hospital.

I'd prefer them to give me all info, the way they do when you are pg.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now