Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Talk to me about IBS

(6 Posts)
lisad123 Wed 22-Jul-09 19:44:51

Been back and forth to GPs for last 2 years as every now and then get loads of really bad stomach pains, diahorra and now started feeling sick all the time
New GP I saw today was appalled its been going on this long, and they have just been giving me meds and sending me away hmm
Well anyways he seems pretty certain I have IBS, and have come away with drugs, instructions to lose weight and told to make a food diary and see what my triggers might be.

I know I really struggle after things like cheese, creams, red meats (which i rarely eat) and too many oats for breckie. But had out this down to having gall bladder out 2 years ago.

Anyhow, is there a diet someone can recommend? I know stress can be a trigger, but not much i can do about that. What other triggers do others have?

Also have a urgentency issue too blush
TIA

Sidge Wed 22-Jul-09 19:56:57

I have IBS. Sometimes it's ok, sometimes it really flares up (like now) and I have urgency, bloating (someone thought I was pregnant yesterday and I'm generally a slim size 8-10), swing between constipation and loose stools, stomach cramps and nausea.

I had medication some years ago but prefer now to try and manage without it. There is no real diet for IBS as such as I think everyone has different food triggers - mine are onions, bread, fatty foods, pasta and some veg.

I found reflexology quite helpful.

Hope you find something that works for you smile

lisad123 Wed 22-Jul-09 20:00:05

oh no please dont say pastaand bread! thats my main diet!

flatcapandpearls Wed 22-Jul-09 20:01:17

I agree there is not diet, my trigger foods are pizza, rice, pasta and white bread. Fried foods kill me as well.

But if I am not stressed I can eat most of the above without pain, can't escape diahorra though.

I used to be on buscopan for the pain but now try and self manage , watching my diet.

Every now and again I go gluten free and it does wonders for me.

Sidge Wed 22-Jul-09 20:07:50

Lisad123 they are my main diet too! I just know that when I am having a flare up they set me off, I still eat them but am prepared for the result...

flatcap - I find going gluten free helps too. I tested negative for coeliac disease (which my mother has) but am obviously sensitive to it at times.

GiraffeAHolic Wed 22-Jul-09 20:08:48

I've had IBS for about 5 years.

Agree with the others that no particular diet will tame it completely but for the last few weeks I've been loosely following a low GI diet.

Since doing this my IBS seems to have calmed down slightly <touches wood>

White bead, anything with cream, too much cheese etc set me off plus stress.

I got very stressed in a shoe shop a few weeks back and was incapacitated for hours.

I found Colpermin good and a friend recently recommended Colofac.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now