Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

could this still be infected?

(3 Posts)
MaryMotherOfCheeses Wed 22-Jul-09 09:14:19

and before you shout "How would we know, get to a doctor" yes I can do that but just want to sound you lot out as well!

I got bitten by something on my ankle a few weeks ago, which then got infected. I had one round of antibiotics but then the infection came back, and I've been on stronger ABs.

The infection has definitely gone down, the puffiness has gone and it's not purple anymore.

But I can still see where it was, like a watermark almost. And there's still a little halo of pink around the bite itself.

Is that normal, like scarring almost, or could it still be infected? I really don't want to end up on a third roud of ABs, but then, I don't want to end up with a big purple ankle again like I had last week.

So difficult to tell.

whomovedmychocolate Wed 22-Jul-09 09:27:13

That's the white blood cells fighting the cellulitis caused by the infection. Normal my dear. Unless you feel unwell or have a hot leg it sounds fine. Will take four to six weeks post antibiotics for it to go away entirely. You can help matters by elevating the ankle as much as possible and keeping it dry.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Wed 22-Jul-09 09:34:53

It's not hot. I keep thinking it's slightly warm but that might be because I keep rubbing it to check :paranoid idiot:

So whole watermark business is normal though. that's good to hear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now