Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

MMR-risk to pregant women?

(4 Posts)
victoriascrumptious Tue 21-Jul-09 22:21:33

My friend, like me is pregnant. Her ds is due his MMR in a couple of weeks. The practice nurse at the sugery told her that she should consider holding off on her child's MMR for another month until her pregnancy is past the 14 week mark. She said it's because her ds would be injected with a 'live virus' whatever that means and "off the record" [she said] the MMR may post a risk to her pregancy via her ds.

I've never heard of this before but likewise i've heard some right old flannel from nurses in the past.

Has anyone ever heard anything like this before. Her ds wont 'contract' M M or R so how the hell can it be a risk to her pregnancy?

Longtalljosie Wed 22-Jul-09 08:15:00

Sounds like a load of old rubbish to me

www.medinfo.co.uk/immunisations/mmr.html

The viruses have been modified. If the person having them put into their bloodstream does not get the illnesses, the person standing next to that person seems pretty safe.

In any case - your friend should know if she's immune to Rubella or not - they'll have tested that, won't they?

victoriascrumptious Wed 22-Jul-09 09:53:21

Yeah Josie, it did seem weird after all if you've had the MMR yourself (which most ppl have) why would there be a worry about catching it from a child?

All very bizarre

Beachcomber Wed 22-Jul-09 10:04:56

Depends on your friend's rubella status really. If she is not immune then holding off for a month seems like a good idea.

It is possible to shed live virus from a live vaccine. It has been documented that rubella virus from vaccinated breast feeding mothers passes into their breastmilk for example.

My DD caught rubella from a child who had just been vaccinated with MMR. She had not been exposed to rubella in any other way that we knew about (she was about 18 months, at a childminder, had no siblings and had only had recent contact with the child in question). Our GP agreed that the most likely way for her to have been infected was through contact with the recently vaccinated child.

I was pregnant at the time but thankfully with OK rubella immunity since I had rubella as a child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now