My friend, like me is pregnant. Her ds is due his MMR in a couple of weeks. The practice nurse at the sugery told her that she should consider holding off on her child's MMR for another month until her pregnancy is past the 14 week mark. She said it's because her ds would be injected with a 'live virus' whatever that means and "off the record" [she said] the MMR may post a risk to her pregancy via her ds.
I've never heard of this before but likewise i've heard some right old flannel from nurses in the past.
Has anyone ever heard anything like this before. Her ds wont 'contract' M M or R so how the hell can it be a risk to her pregnancy?
Depends on your friend's rubella status really. If she is not immune then holding off for a month seems like a good idea.
It is possible to shed live virus from a live vaccine. It has been documented that rubella virus from vaccinated breast feeding mothers passes into their breastmilk for example.
My DD caught rubella from a child who had just been vaccinated with MMR. She had not been exposed to rubella in any other way that we knew about (she was about 18 months, at a childminder, had no siblings and had only had recent contact with the child in question). Our GP agreed that the most likely way for her to have been infected was through contact with the recently vaccinated child.
I was pregnant at the time but thankfully with OK rubella immunity since I had rubella as a child.