Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

how can i help my poor snuffly newborn?

(5 Posts)
TheNatty Tue 21-Jul-09 21:54:39

me and 2 week old ds have a horrendous cold, he is finding it very hard to bf as his nose is totally blocked.
therefore he is swallowing massive amounts of air whilst feeding and suffering with terrible wind.

what can i use to help clear his nose? tried a sucky nose thingy no luck, blockage is in sinuses same as me i think.

can i use vapour rub or olbas oil??

lilacpink Tue 21-Jul-09 22:01:32

Think there's a child's albas oil (but not sure what age from), sitting in a steamy room (i.e. after bath run) used to help my DD. Not practical every moment of the day tho!

strongblackcoffee Tue 21-Jul-09 22:01:39

I think the vapour rubs are supposed to be for 3 months upwards. Would probably be a good idea to check with midwife. However, I was going to suggest that you boil a kettle in the room, steam is really good for unblocking noses. And you could also maybe have a bowl of hot water somewhere nearby with a couple of drops of olbas oil in. I guess so long as it's not too close, it can't do much harm?

MrsJamesMartin Tue 21-Jul-09 22:03:26

Saline nose drops can help to unblock things a bit.

Have him in th bathroom with hot taps/shower on, the steam will help things drain more easily.

Think he may be too young for rub or olbas oil although there is a less strong children's olbas oil available.

TheNatty Tue 21-Jul-09 22:14:47

saline drops sounds like a good idea hadnt thought of that.
will bring him in the bathroom with me when i have a bath tomorrow as well.

poor little mite, hes getting very frustrated with it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now