Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is it normal to have bad muscle/back pain after having a lumbar puncture?

(8 Posts)
FluffyBunnyGoneBad Tue 21-Jul-09 21:22:37

It really hurts, he had a few goes as the needle kept clogging up. It hurts when I move, it hurts lower down when I don't.

Ta.

nellie12 Tue 21-Jul-09 21:26:02

I'm not sure it should hurt that much. Daft question but have you taken your pain killers? I would ring the ward for advice if its open. If not ring a&e for advice. Start there because this is the hospitals problem. Don't leave it if you aren't sure. hth

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Tue 21-Jul-09 21:29:01

I had it yesterday, at least the headaches gone now though. It's a day ward so there's no one there. Paracetamol doesn't really do anything. I have some codeine stuff but tend to steer clear as they wipe me off the planet. It's not too bad if I sit still, I can't bend/move very well though.

mosschops30 Tue 21-Jul-09 21:32:30

If it really hurts then take the bloody codiene (sorry but it annoys me when people wont take painkillers but will happily tell you how bad their pain is - nothing personal, am a nurse and my father was terrible at this).

Fluffy you dont have to phone the same place you had it done for advice, was it done in a major hospital that has a neurosurgical units? They will help, or failing that ring A&E and ask them

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Tue 21-Jul-09 21:35:09

Codeine's for wimps grin
I have work to do, I can't spare the time to be off my face, I also have ds to care for. I wasn't sure if the doctor bruised the muscle, it's not too bad if I sit still. I don't do drugs, I'll make a interesting doctor!!

mosschops30 Tue 21-Jul-09 21:37:12

If you dont do drugs then dont moan about the pain grin

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Tue 21-Jul-09 21:38:49

I was just wondering if it's normal. If it was a botch job and I should be pain free but am not I should do something about it, if it's normal then I won't bother IYSWIM.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Tue 21-Jul-09 21:45:05

Ok, I give in. But first, is it supposto hurt this much. Please??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now