Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Embarassing fanjo question - please see inside (pardon the pun)

(20 Posts)
embarassingfanjo Tue 21-Jul-09 21:01:22

Ok, I must stress I have already seen the GP for this but wasn't terribly impressed so am hoping someone here might have more of an idea or a similar experience.

Basically, about 8 years ago I had a strange rubbing sensation inside in the lower-fanjo area. This is a bit graphic but it turned out to be a little stalk-like thing poking out from inside.

It doesn't give me any major grief but sometimes get kind of inflamed and a bit painfil.

I thought it may be a cervical polyp so mustered up all my courage and went to the GP. She said it was basically the pee pipe was a bit inflamed and her suggestions were to use vaseline if sore and try pelvic floor exercises.

Anyway, when I was in labour the pressure on the stalk thing was so unbearably painful that after about 12 hours I couldn't handle it anymore and asked for an epidural which then led to all sorts of horrible interventions.

Am pg again and want the damn thing sorted before I give birth again.

Any ideas?

reikizen Tue 21-Jul-09 21:04:37

flippin' heck. Ask the GP to refer you to someone who knows what they are talking about. Seriously. It sounds like the GP is out of their league.

I would go back to GP and insist on a gynae referral. No idea what it is but it sounds like it needs fixing.

embarassingfanjo Tue 21-Jul-09 21:06:14

THank you.

That's what I thought.

It doesn't seem right at all to me and she just seemed a bit embarassed and dismissive which made me feel bloody great as you can imagine.

LuluMaman Tue 21-Jul-09 21:06:16

oh crikey.. see a gynae urgently

can;t see how using vaseline is going to help
you need someone more specialised than your GP

YouLukaAmazing Tue 21-Jul-09 21:07:00

Message withdrawn

embarassingfanjo Tue 21-Jul-09 21:08:47

Thing is, no one has ever mentioned it when I;ve had smears etc or during labour (sure they wouldn't then though!) so I've just assumed it's therefore not a huge problem.

THe pelvic floor thing though - nowt wrong with my pelvic floor, I had a whopping baby and am lucky enough to have never had any stress incontinence issues or whatever and she saw me pre-baby so I really don't see how keigels woudl help.

sausagerolemodel Tue 21-Jul-09 21:10:39

little stalk like thing doesn't sound like it would equate to inflammation? Could it possibly be an internal papilloma (wart)? (please don't be offended by the suggestion, something like 80% of the adult population has been exposed to human pipilloma virus, which causes this. Did your GP have a really good look? If it is a papilloma, they should be able to remove it quite simply.

wuglet Tue 21-Jul-09 21:11:47

sounds like a urethral caruncle

(don't be scared to read is a bit technical but nothing too sinister!)

embarassingfanjo Tue 21-Jul-09 21:12:29

No she didn't have a good look, just a peek then muttered something about "pee pipe" and tried to get rid of me.

I would have thought it may have an actual medical name or that she might even know vaguely what it was.

I'm kind of pissed off now, it took so much courgge to go in the first place.

emma1977 Tue 21-Jul-09 21:13:26

Urethral caruncle

emma1977 Tue 21-Jul-09 21:14:02

Beat me to it, wuglet!

CMOTdibbler Tue 21-Jul-09 21:14:17

The quickest way to get someone to look at it, is to get along to your nearest sexual health clinic. No waiting list, and people who really know their way around a fanjo

embarassingfanjo Tue 21-Jul-09 21:15:09

Wuglet I'm pretty sure that is it. Thank you so much!

DO you know much about it? Should i push to have it removed?

emma1977 Tue 21-Jul-09 21:19:14

Surgery is only usually required in v severe cases. Most respond OK to gentle bathing and anti-inflammatory gels. Sometimes they can be treated with cautery or cryotherapy.

I doubt many doctors would be keen to do anything too interventional while you are pregnant.

If referral is needed, ask to see a uro-gynaecologist.

wuglet Tue 21-Jul-09 21:20:46

^ what she said grin

embarassingfanjo Tue 21-Jul-09 21:20:56

Thanks Emma, is there anything I can do to avoid the problem in labour again, do you know?

emma1977 Tue 21-Jul-09 21:26:38

Short of having a C-section there is no great way of avoiding it happening again.

Ideally, do your pelvic floors regularly during pregnancy and keep you fingers crossed that you don't have a big baby or prolonged 2nd stage of labour.

Good luck

embarassingfanjo Tue 21-Jul-09 21:28:00

THanks Emma.

Number one was 9 pounds 11 and second stage was 3 hours.

Once the baby is born would they remove it, do you reckon? I'm sure it's responsible for my frequent peeing (when not pregnant!)

emma1977 Tue 21-Jul-09 21:29:56

Might do, although it may go away completely with more conservative treatment. Ask for a referral once your baby is born.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now