Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

SOMEBODY PLEASE tell me why I'm putting on weight!!

(23 Posts)
TheBolter Tue 21-Jul-09 19:27:24

OK, so I started feeling a little porky after working at a desk for a few months so I resolved to eat less and take more exercise. That I have been doing religiously - running loads and walking more. Eating less. In fact, so much less that I spend a lot of the time actually quite hungry. I wouldn't say I'm starving myself, but I'm eating the kind of amount that up until recently would have guaranteed I'd lose a few pounds in a few weeks.

I have been following my new 'regime' for three weeks now - and guess what? I've steadily gained three pounds! How disheartening. I feel as if I've got a real gut too.

Any ideas what on earth is happening? I could cope at this weight, worse things have happened wink, but I'm worried that there may be an underlying health issue or if I go back to eating normally I'll really bloat out.

Please help, I'm feeling really down about this sad.

TheBolter Tue 21-Jul-09 19:28:17

Just re-read, sorry if I sound pathetic!

TheBolter Tue 21-Jul-09 19:28:31

PS I'm not pg!

mousemole Wed 22-Jul-09 20:12:10

I would get your thyroid checked out - you might be underactive

TheBolter Thu 23-Jul-09 21:42:37

Thanks for reply mousemole - was about to drown my unanswered thread sorrows in several Greggs sausage rolls grin. I did think about thyroid but the other symptoms don't match up.

Spidermama Thu 23-Jul-09 21:46:16

Are you on asthma medication by any chance?

GwarchodwrPlant Thu 23-Jul-09 21:47:20

Could you give us an example of your daily eats?

Spidermama Thu 23-Jul-09 21:48:09

Also, did you recently turn 40?

IDreamOfJeannie Thu 23-Jul-09 21:49:18

Maybe it's increased muscle from the exercise you've been doing. Muscle weighs more than fat apparently.
Do your clothes still fit the same? Do you feel / look like you've put weight on. This would be a better guide than weight I think.

CKelpie Thu 23-Jul-09 21:53:16

What kind of contraception are you using? Any other medication?

Try eating a little more but veg and fruit type things?

Your body could be storing for starvation if you are not eating enough

unavailable Thu 23-Jul-09 21:58:18

Have you given up smoking recently?

EmmalinaC Thu 23-Jul-09 22:13:21

Definitely get your thyroid checked - weight gain was the only symptom I had when mine was diagnosed (I gained 6 kilos in 6 weeks while breastfeeding!).

TheBolter Thu 23-Jul-09 23:11:21

Oooo blimey - thanks for the replies, wasn't expecting this response!

OK, to answer your questions...

Spidermama: no to asthma meds, I'm 33.

Jeannie: Clothes fit OK but tummy deffo more rounded and bulgy. Apart from that I feel more toned round the bum and legs but not sure how much muscle I will have put on in three weeks!

unavailable: No, I smoke v occasionally, like once a month max if I'm at a party. But I don't think it affects my weight as I've done it for years.

CKelpie: On the Mirena, have been using for 3.5 years. No other meds. Could perhaps eat more fruit and veg, thanks for advice.

Not starving myself. Gwarchowder, today I ate: two pieces of gluten free toast, a boiled egg, a few pieces of liquorice, a glass of pure orange juice, coq au vin with rice and veg for supper, (a moderate portion). One coffee, one tea, both with half tsp sugar. A small bottle of cider. I think that's it. Do you think it sounds a lot? Thing is, that is not much compared to what I normally eat. I eat supper early and by bedtime I'm starting to feel quite hungry.

Emmalina, hmmm yes maybe a thyroid check would be a good idea if I gain much more weight.

MollieO Thu 23-Jul-09 23:13:28

Pregnant?

devotion Thu 23-Jul-09 23:15:01

since exercising you may have just toned up and muscle weighs more than fat.

leave the scales alone and just go by how you look, you'll know you are losing weight when your clothes fall to your ankles grin

keep in there!!!

the slower you lose it the better.

hellymelly Thu 23-Jul-09 23:17:51

Are you tired? do you feel chilly easily and find heat hard to cope with? Do you look a bit puffy around the eyes? If so then thyroid is likely I would say, otherwise then maybe you are just gaining muscle mass,which is a good thing! Maybe measure yourself and keep a check on that rather than on how much you weigh.

RedBlueRed Thu 23-Jul-09 23:28:54

I think that sounds like a fairly small amount of food considering you are running etc and fairly low fat too.

Are you sure you haven't forgotten about the quantities of baileys and thorntons! shock grin

An appointment with your Dr would be a very good idea.

I hope you get it sorted out soon.

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 24-Jul-09 00:06:48

Message withdrawn

RedBlueRed Fri 24-Jul-09 00:23:14

Guilty hijack...

<<preens and twirls>> Thanks Shiney grin

HJ over...

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 24-Jul-09 00:39:29

Message withdrawn

GrinnyPig Fri 24-Jul-09 00:54:39

I think you need to do a 7 day food diary so that you can see exactly what you consume over the course of a week.

Why the gluten free toast? Do you have coeliac disease?

ILovePudding Fri 24-Jul-09 03:21:04

Have you heard about insulin resistance syndrome? Diet and lifestyle can lead to this condition that causes weight gain, particularly around the abdomen.

Here is a link to some info on insulin resistance

A lot of what you listed in your daily food intake is listed in the foods to be avoided, and even though you have started exercising and cutting down on food consumption, it sounds like you are eating a lot of refined carbohydrates.

HTH

TheBolter Fri 24-Jul-09 08:13:57

Thank you so much for all your advice. I'm in a bit of a hurry this morning so no time to answer, but I will go through all your replies and have a think. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now