Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Talk to me about contraception...please

(14 Posts)
PrefetParfait Tue 21-Jul-09 17:48:29

We have been asked to use dual contraception for 3-4m. One of them has to be Condom+spermicide, which is fine.

I need a second method.
I am not going on the pill for the sake of 3 m
I don't fancy a Dr rumaging around my fanjo to fit coil/diaphragm for the sake of 3m.

My mind has gone blank. Short of bumsex (sorry) or abstination are there any other contraceptive methods which would be suitable for short term use.

emma1977 Tue 21-Jul-09 21:01:48

Why not the pill for 3m? Easy to start and stop it. Or the patch?

Personsa with abstinence or condoms during fertile times?

A coil is easy enough to fit and remove after 3m.

Depo injection lasts for 12 weeks, which may be a good option.

cass66 Tue 21-Jul-09 21:03:35

the depot injection lasts for 12 weeks, so you could try that. your fertility might take a while to come back after though...

the pill is the easiest reversible option. why not that??? because there aren't many other options....

wastingmyeducationatHogwarts Tue 21-Jul-09 21:09:13

I'd go for the pill for 3 months, even though I wouldn't do it for longer.

PrefetParfait Tue 21-Jul-09 21:46:36

I didn't like the pill I was on previously (many moons ago). Found that there was no point bein on it as libido was dead...

I didn't fancy having GP rumaging around my fanjo with the coil - especially as they obviously have more pressing matters to deal with ATM. However, I have just had a smear reminder... so will have to haev someone rummage around up there anyway.
Could a coil be fitted at the same time?
Can the practice nurse fit a coil, as that is who usually does smears?
Is the coil effective as a contraceptive immediately (I know you have to "wait" 2 weeks for the pill)?

What are the pros/cons of the coil. I see a lot of bad press on here about mirena. Can someone summarise?

TBH I think it is overkill. I know that I can't get pg for the next 3-4m (not that I was planning to). And the condoms will be a step up from the withdrawal that we usually use. I just know that it would be sods law...that when I am not allowed to get pg I will have that happy accident....are condoms + extra spermicide really that bad when used properly?

PrefetParfait Tue 21-Jul-09 21:48:00

<Oh and how long does coil last...because once it is up there it may as well stay there...how effective is it? Isn't one of the risks eptopics? If so how great is the risk>

PrefetParfait Tue 21-Jul-09 21:49:17

Oh and 1 more question. If I decide on teh coil would I need to see GP for that either to be fitted or for a consultation prior to nurse fitting? Or can I go straight to nurse?

GossipMonger Tue 21-Jul-09 21:52:06

I have just been fitted with implanon implant which is fine

in the arm

we use condons too

emma1977 Tue 21-Jul-09 21:58:10

V few nurses fit coils (likewise for GPs)- check at your surgery. FPC will be able to do them. You will usually be asked to attend for swabs a week prior to insertion unless you have been in a stable monogamous relationship for a while.

A coil lasts for either 5 or 10 years depending on the type fitted- most are 5. Obviously they can be taken out as soon as no longer needed.

Risk of coil failure is about 1/100 (equivalent to perfect pill use). If a pregnancy were to occur, there is a slightly higher risk of it being ectopic (sorry, I can't remember the figures off hand).

It is usually fitted in the first few days of your cycle, but can be done at any time up until day 19.

PrefetParfait Tue 21-Jul-09 22:02:46

I wouldn't go for implant due to duration.

Thanks Emma,

Haven't got a clue where my nearest FPC is, I don't think there is one within 15 miles so I assume that local surgeries must do them...but TBH I don't have a clue. I just thought that if I could tie it in with my smear it could end up being ideal.

Is the 19 day rule the same for a 35day+ cycle? I am of on hols and would probably be looking to get it done when I get back. Also could you comment on whether it is an immediate contraceptive or whether there is a delay like the pill?

emma1977 Tue 21-Jul-09 22:09:16

day 26 for a 35 day cycle.

Immediate cover if fitted in first 5 days of cycle.

PrefetParfait Tue 21-Jul-09 22:14:58

But suerly first 5 days will be bleeding days?

emma1977 Tue 21-Jul-09 22:33:19

Yup. Best time to fit a coil as cervix is a little open. And definitely not pregnant!

PrefetParfait Wed 22-Jul-09 17:33:53

Euuuwww (sorry I guess you see it more than I do).

Surely I can't have a smear whilst bleeding.

Oh this is just getting sooo complicated I am tempted to go for teh condoms and hope option....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now