Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Scared to go to sleep because I wake up screaming or crying

(6 Posts)
cupofteaplease Tue 21-Jul-09 15:14:55

Well this is a very silly problem I'm sure, but here goes...

A few times recently, I have started to doze off to sleep, and I belive I am still awake. Then, I have seen a person in my room that shouldn't be there- either a man in the doorway, or last night an older child stood by my bed. I then scream the house down, totally petrified, and dh wakes me up by holding me and telling me it was a dream. It's awful, becuse it seems so real, I really feel awake. But then of course, I cannot get back to sleep because I'm in a cold sweat and my heart is racing and I can't stop ataring at the place where I 'saw' the 'intruder'.

Then, on nights when I do manage to go to sleep without screaming my lungs out, I have horrible nightmares. Awful and ridiculous things, like talking to my deceased Dad and being horrible to him, failing exams, abandoning my children- silly really. But I find myself waking up with a wet pillow as tears are streaming down my face.

I'm so tired at the moment because my sleep is interrupted constantly and I'm getting scared to go to bed.

Any advice?

castlesintheair Tue 21-Jul-09 16:57:18

Are you on any medication that could be giving you side-effects? Sound's very stressful and tiring.

EzrasMummy Tue 21-Jul-09 17:53:54

Thats sleep pralysis. Ive had it once and it scared the s**t out of me. maybe youre stressed?

cupofteaplease Tue 21-Jul-09 18:32:40

Thanks for the replies. No, I'm not on medication, but I used to take antid's for anxiety related depression.

I have had a very stressful year- PGCE with 2 preschoolers and had a MMC. However, my sleep problems have really increased in the month since my stressful period came to an end. So if anything, I should be relieved and sleeping like a baby.

EzrasMummy- how did you overcome the problem? I'm so pleased someone else can vouch for how scary it is sad

8oreighty Tue 21-Jul-09 18:44:29

I have found seeing a homeopath has really helped with horrible nightmares...worth a try?

wahwahwah Tue 21-Jul-09 18:45:47

Night terrors. Hypnosis can help. I had it once - flippin heck it was horrible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now