Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mums of febrile convulsion sufferers: Do you ever stop worrying?

(12 Posts)
Schulte Tue 21-Jul-09 13:29:16

Come and talk to me... since DD1 had her first FC in October last year at 18 months old, I haven't been able to stop worrying. I panic at every sniffle and cough, and now I've had DD2 one of them always seems to be ill so I am in constant worry mode. I KNOW that FCs are usually not dangerous, and DD1 has had 3 so far and been fine afterwards, but they are just so horrendous to watch. Will I ever relax?

Mumwhensdinnerready Tue 21-Jul-09 13:53:05

Sorry to say this but no, you never stop worrying. It does get better though.

My DS1 had a FC aged 11 months followed by a week in hospital with bronchitis. Whenever he had a cold he used to get terrible temperatures. I was a wreck, used to have him sleep with me so I could check him all night.

Happily though he had croup several times he never had another FC.

He's now a six foot 13 year old. But he still does those temperatures. Last winter he got flu. Proper flu that knocked him off his feet for two weeks, gave him night sweats and a teperature nudging 40. He's too big for my bed now but I slept on his floor 2 nights I was so worried.

I think that although it's worrying you now know what to look out for and you will keep an eye on that temperature whenever they are unwell.

laurz75 Tue 21-Jul-09 14:16:28

Hi,
I don't think you'll ever truly relax when your dd is unwell.
My ds had a FC at 18months too - I thought he was dying - it was the most horrific thing I've ever experienced.
He still gets incredibly high temperatures when ill but has never had another FC. I also have him near me when ill.
Thankfully the likelihood of repeat FC's does decrease the older they get.

Schulte Tue 21-Jul-09 14:48:43

Thanks for sharing your experiences. My DH thinks I am mad for sleeping on the floor in DD's room whenever she's ill but that's the only way I will get any sleep at all, knowing I'm right there if she needs me.

bruffin Tue 21-Jul-09 15:21:15

Unfortunately my 13 yr old had one last month, thankfully at school and it turned out he had pneumonia. He had over 15 upto the age of 6 then one at 8 and another at 10.

Can I just point out it is very very still to be having fc's at my ds's age. My DD had only 4 between the age of 3 and 4.

There is strong genetic link to febrile convulsions. My mum and sister and possible my nan had them up to 10, so we thought the one at 10 was the last one. We are waiting to see a paediatrician again about the last one.
So if you don't have a family history of fc then I wouldn't worry too much about

This swine flu (which I have at the moment) got me panicing,because of the temperature involved.

The problem is that most children that have fc's are little and with parents or even at school,but my ds is now very independent and out and about.

Christopher Green has a brilliant quote in his book

"a normal febrile convulsion does not damage a child, only his mothers nerves"

When both ds and dd managed to have 4 in a week between them, my nerves we well and truely shreddedgrin

The older the child gets the chances of them having another fit does become less and less

Schulte Tue 21-Jul-09 15:27:13

Do you give up trying to stop them happening eventually? I know I felt awful when DD had a fever in December and I managed to keep it under control all day but then in the evening she still fitted, twice sad Doc said there is actually no point in trying to prevent them, as you can't?

bruffin Tue 21-Jul-09 15:34:09

I don't think you can prevent them. I found with DS that it is usually the first sign he is ill, because it's not the temperature that causes the fit, but a rapid rise in the temperature, which is either at the very beginning of the illness or when the calpol/nurofen has worn off.

bruffin Wed 22-Jul-09 17:16:44

Just found some good news about Febrile Convulsions
They are basically a bit brainier grin

dooneygirl Wed 22-Jul-09 17:36:10

Oh, God no. DS had his first and only one last October, too. It does get better, though. I used up 3 batteries in the thermometer in the 3 months afterward, because I took his temperature several times daily. I finally stopped doing that. I think the several month break in him being sick has helped my nerves.

I put DS in our room when he's sick, and he's almost 6 years old. It seemed like he was always sick after his FC for about 5 months after. I think DH thinks it is a bit excessive, but he knows that if DS isn't in there, then I will just be in DS' room up all night staring at him not sleeping.

I totally agree with bruffin, in that hearing the words swine flu sends me in a panic, not because I'm worried about death or other serious complications, just the high fever part.

Thanks for this thread. I felt like I have turned into an absolute freak since the FC. It is nice to know know I have fellow freaks out there. smile

Schulte Wed 22-Jul-09 20:23:59

Ah bruffin, my DH found that too a while ago grin

I must say the other mums I have spoken to in RL who have DCs with convulsions always seemed very relaxed about it all. But maybe that's just because their children hat outgrown them.

Has anyone ever managed NOT to call an ambulance while their child fitted? I know I will always call one...

bruffin Wed 22-Jul-09 20:39:52

Only times we called ambulance was

1st time

2nd time I think, but he was eating at the time

Then only took to the doctor to find out the underlying illness,if it wasn't obvious for most of the ones he had until he was 6.

Then not again until he was 8 and he was in Macdonalds toilet and managed to bang his head on the wall and blacked his eye on the toilet. Macdonalds were brilliant and called the ambulance.

The last time he was at school and they called the ambulance, but we think he fitted twice and didn't come round until he reached hospital. Also bloodied his nose and banged the back of his head. He was kept in overnight because of the possible concussion and he had pneumonia.

Never called the ambulance for DD or even took her to the doctors, because it was fairly obvious what she had.

We were told to give rectal diazipam if it went on for more than 5 minuites and call an ambulance for over 10 minutes.

bruffin Wed 22-Jul-09 20:46:54

We were actually prescribed diazipam but if you don't have it then I think the advice is to call if the fit itself lasts more than 5 minutes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now