Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

pain with Chicken pox...... HELP !!!

(24 Posts)
sparklymieow Fri 20-May-05 22:55:03

Has anyones child experience lots of pain with the CP?? DS was fine, just itchy and DD1 is fine, just itchy too but Dd2 is actually in pain with it. She can't walk normally, and she won't let us pick her up and she can't climb onto the sofa without crying

Jimjams Fri 20-May-05 22:57:59

Are you sure she hasn't got a touch of shingles with it? I guess all yu can do is give the usual poor dd.

tiffini Fri 20-May-05 22:59:17

My ds came down with C Pox the day i had my twins, he was in terrible pain for 2 weeks, and had blisters the size of 2 pence pieces, he too would not be touched, bathed, and he also struggled to walk, he had to be put on anti-biotics in the end because each blisters stayed open for about 4-5 days.

Have you tried baking soda in the bath?

misdee Fri 20-May-05 22:59:51

mieows dd has eczema, could this be causing mroe pain?

tiffini Fri 20-May-05 22:59:56

By the way, i am not stalking you...honest

Jimjams Fri 20-May-05 23:02:29

weird I posted but has gone.

Yep eczema and cp can be a problem-0 and can get easily infected- any doubt I'd get her to the GP.

sparklymieow Fri 20-May-05 23:02:34

she has normal size blisters but she has about 1500!!!!! she is covered..... her eczema sites are very weepy but when I was hugging her earlier, her spine seems to come out a bit IYKWIM, and when I touched it she screamed..... I am a bit worried.....

misdee Fri 20-May-05 23:03:02

i'd say a+e.

sparklymieow Fri 20-May-05 23:04:28

not sure if it was the way she was laying into me... I have tried to see if its normal when she is laying down but couldnt tell, looked ok.

misdee Fri 20-May-05 23:05:36

is she asleep now? if she isnt feeling better in the morning, and the spots havent started to crust i'd consider a+e.

sparklymieow Fri 20-May-05 23:06:30

her temp hasn't been below 100 either, but I gave her calpofen and it has taken it down to 98

Gomez Fri 20-May-05 23:06:50

Could she be dehydrathed with her high temps etc.?

sparklymieow Fri 20-May-05 23:07:10

some of the spots have crusted...

sparklymieow Fri 20-May-05 23:08:30

she is drinking a fair bit, just now is the first time since tuesday her temp. has been below 100f, its been at 101-103.9f,

sparklymieow Fri 20-May-05 23:09:39

she is drowey and she seems so ill..... she's my baby and I can't stand seeing her like this.

Gomez Fri 20-May-05 23:09:52

Could just be the sheer number of sores plus excema that are making her so uncomfortable?

sparklymieow Fri 20-May-05 23:12:52

hope so, last year she had Impetigo which covered her entire body, and now she has such a bad case of CP, I think she has a problem with her immunity system on her skin, she suffers with hives regularly too, can you be tested for that???

elibelly Fri 20-May-05 23:17:46

the only things that helped dd were Eurax cream and Phenergan - but that's not suitable for the under 2's. Did your GP suggest anything?

sparklymieow Fri 20-May-05 23:25:52

she is 3, no the GP just said calpol, baths with baking soda, and calamine lotion, but she won't let us near her with the calamine.

elibelly Fri 20-May-05 23:28:51

calamine lotion is horrid goes dry and crusty. You can get some ointment with calamine in it which is nicer but Eurax really helps with the itching. If your dd is 3 then she can have Phenergan it's OTC medicine, it's basically an antihistimine and a mild seditive, so it helps the pain and helps them sleep. Invaluable.

sparklymieow Fri 20-May-05 23:31:57

GP was shocked when I said that the spots had only came up the previous day, she couldn't believe the amount of spots DD2 has, and she still has some coming up I will get some of that tomorrow... thanks

elibelly Fri 20-May-05 23:46:44

Poor little thing. Hope she gets better soon

sparklymieow Fri 20-May-05 23:49:48

I do think she has a problem with her skin, because she ahs lots of skin reactions and when she gets a skin condition (like Impetigo and cp) she gets it so much worse that everyone else) trying to find out if such a thing exists but can't find it..

elibelly Sat 21-May-05 09:48:16

my ds has very over-reactive skin too, he's usually covered in eczema and gets terrible rashes if he gets so much as a cold. He's not had CP yet, I'm dreading it as dd got it pretty badly. I hope it clears up soon for your dd, but it might be worth trying to get a referral to a dermatologist anyway. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now