Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Do I need to see GP with sore throat?

(7 Posts)
elvislives Mon 20-Jul-09 20:26:37

I've had a headache and really sore throat all day. Throat pain seems to be worse on one side and the gland is up on that side. (it is sore to press on the side of my neck)

Chloraseptic spray eased the pain, but it's worn off.

Is this something that will go away by itself or do I need to see the GP (is it an AB situation?) No temperature or coughing.

imaynotbeperfectbutimokmummy Mon 20-Jul-09 21:25:43

Maybe ring your surgery, dont see doc, sounds like it could be swine flu. Im dreading getting SF, sore throats are my nemisis.

elvislives Mon 20-Jul-09 21:27:59

I wondered about SF but with no temp and not actually getting worse is it likely?

scienceteacher Mon 20-Jul-09 21:29:14

Would you normally see the GP with a sore throat? Probably not.

elvislives Mon 20-Jul-09 21:33:39

no and I wouldn't normally take time off work with one either but we've had instructions round that if we have "symptoms consistent with SF" we must stay away.

scienceteacher Mon 20-Jul-09 21:43:21

It's fair enough to stay away from work so that you don't infect other people. If your employers have told you to stay away, then why not? Perhaps you can work from home, if you are well enough?

As for seeing a doctor, a sore throat will get better on its own. It is just a matter of time. Things have to get really bad before you beg for seek antibiotics. They really can't do anything for you other than to tell you to take paracetamol and drink plenty of water.

If you are able to type after a whole day of symptoms, it probably isn't flu.

elvislives Wed 22-Jul-09 10:34:28

Quick update. Went to GP this am because it isn't getting any better. Got a weeks worth of 4 a day ABs shock and told to stay off work for the rest of the week. So looks like it wouldn't have got better on its own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now