Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Infected fingertip: at what point do I seek help?

(17 Posts)
Elibean Mon 20-Jul-09 18:18:30

Its been sore (very) since Saturday morning. I thought it was getting better yesterday, but v sore again today - maybe from overuse (tell me how to wipe a toddler's bottom/get her out of car seat/sort laundry etc without using my right middle finger hmm)

Its hot to the touch, but no red streaks going down finger...just swollen, tight and shiny red on side of nail. No visible pus, just a swollen lumpy bit.

Such a small but infuriatingly ouchy thing angry

crokky Mon 20-Jul-09 18:19:56

Personally, I'd go to the doc. MIL had something like this and ended up in hospital.

Ledodgy Mon 20-Jul-09 18:20:51

Go to the dr you probably need some fucidin cream or the like.

Elibean Mon 20-Jul-09 18:21:19

Really? Yikes.

I've had it before, usually resoves on its own but did go to doc once, who lanced it and put antibiotic cream on...but that one had a pus-y bit to lance, iyswim. Urgh.

Elibean Mon 20-Jul-09 18:22:08

I have some fucidin cream, so will slap some on tonight and go to doc in morning if no better (too late now) - thanks!

EldonAve Mon 20-Jul-09 18:23:16

have you tried soaking it in v hot water?

AuntieMaggie Mon 20-Jul-09 18:25:54

go to the doc if no better tomorrow as that will be almost 4 days - better safe than sorry.

i know someone who ended up with blood poisoning from a blister.

Elibean Mon 20-Jul-09 18:26:27

blush noo...I know I should, but it hurts when I put it in a warm bath, so...<slinks off sheepishly to boil kettle>

Thanks.

Elibean Mon 20-Jul-09 18:26:55

Blood poisoning? Eek. Ok, I promise, I will.

Tambajam Mon 20-Jul-09 18:31:18

I would soak it in a saline bath. A cup full of salt for a big bowl of hot water. Then pat dry and apply cream.

Elibean Mon 20-Jul-09 18:44:10

adding salt to hot water now....

Elibean Mon 20-Jul-09 22:17:11

Just took off plaster to re-bathe finger, and a blob of pus (sorry) came out...is this good, or bad?!

luvaduck Mon 20-Jul-09 22:38:57

sounds like a paronychia if its close to the nail. pus coming out is a good thing - the doc wold lance it anyway.
it may well need antibiotics as well but sorry can't say without looking!
i would see gp to be honest unless completly better tomorrow
some info for you

mololoko Mon 20-Jul-09 22:49:24

oooh, i had this a few weeks ago. it's nasty. i went to my gp in the end and got antibiotics. a couple of days later i was able to lance it. it got much less painful really quickly but took weeks for my finger to return to normal size, and really messed up my fingernail! i'd get it checked out...i did the hot water thing for about a week and it just got worse.

Elibean Tue 21-Jul-09 13:04:13

Thanks for both info and advice smile

It does seem a lot better since the pus came out, less red, less swollen, less sore. Just bathed and creamed and bandaged again today, and can actually type with it. On basis of finger alone, wouldn't go to GP now...but am feeling bit ill today (achey, woozy, generally weird but no fever) and dh just suggested it could be as a result of my finger.

Which scared me, tbh, given what people have said about antibiotics and blood poisoning. If the infection had turned systemic, ie blood, wouldn't I have a fever? And my hand be worse, not better?

Please tell me I have a cold starting (or flu, I suppose, but too slow onset I think!)

luvaduck Tue 21-Jul-09 14:05:44

not necessarily. just go the GP. today.
call now as it will be annoying for the practice to get a call at 5pm and they will have to see you.

Elibean Tue 21-Jul-09 21:27:20

Thanks, I do appreciate the concern. No way the GP could or would see me today hmm so luckily I am feeling no worse, and finger is totally useable again.

The advice to soak in hot, salty water really seems to have worked - drew the pus out, and since then its been on the mend (with hindsight). Tonight, no redness, hardly any swelling, and can push on it without pain: huge relief.

MN lanced it: thanks! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now