Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help... how can dh reduce his blood pressure by Weds?

(11 Posts)
yogabird Mon 20-Jul-09 12:15:08

He's fit (just cycled over 1000 miles)and healthy, perhaps very slightly overweight. He is due to have a hernia repair op on weds and on the pre-op check they said his blood pressure was high - that's it really, they'll check it again on weds but didn't give any more details. I am assuming they won't operate if it's high?

Any ideas? Please?

yogabird Mon 20-Jul-09 15:32:41

anyone?

CMOTdibbler Mon 20-Jul-09 15:35:10

They'll operate unless it was through the roof high - which they would have said.

If it is still high, they will recommend he sees his GP

MarieCeleste Mon 20-Jul-09 15:37:51

There's tons of things he can do. If I were him, I'd have a long massage asap; then do as many deep relaxation and BREATHING stuff as he can fit in. Eat lots of garlic.

If you had more time, you could do more dietary stuff. But I would focus on breathing and relaxing!

Tell the masseur re the BP: you will need to avoid some aromatherapy oils, eg ylang ylang.

Hangingbellyofbabylon Mon 20-Jul-09 15:43:21

I would try the Bowen Technique - I've had some real success with reducing blood pressure this way. I believe that massage can sometimes we too stimulating and doesn't always help blood pressure. www.bowen-technique.co.uk/find_therapist.php

EachPeachPearMum Mon 20-Jul-09 15:44:06

no alcohol, no salt, lots of relaxing...
bananas and broccoli help I think

KnickKnack Mon 20-Jul-09 15:44:30

1000mg garlic per day (realistically will take about 8 weeks to make a good impact)
Quest Kyolic garlic is a really good one, from a health shop.

Drink a glass of beetroot juice per day. Again go to health hop and ask for 100% pure juice, no salt/sugar, not watered down. Rabenhorst apparently tastes better then most.

Is there anu chance it was just a case of "white coat syndrome" when he reached the GP surgery, or had he just exercised beforehand?

I guess its worth thinking about his diet/lifestyle/stress/weight afterwards...prevention for future problems.

MarieCeleste Mon 20-Jul-09 15:47:56

He needs to relax totally before it's taken at the hospital to avoid white coat syndrome.

yogabird Tue 21-Jul-09 19:36:09

thanks

alcohol and salt are sorted. Lots of spinach and broccoli have been consumed today! Hopefully it was just that white coat thing, fingers crossed grin

yogabird Thu 23-Jul-09 09:10:18

was white coat syndrome, all well now. OP done and convalescence started. MAny thanks all!

KnickKnack Thu 23-Jul-09 19:26:58

great news smile

Hope you are pampering the poor man wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now