Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Recipie for salt / sugar solution - Urgent please

(12 Posts)
bensmum3 Fri 20-May-05 18:46:38

Hi, I've got a poorly lamb and want to make a salt/sugar solution to try and rehydate it, does anyone have a recipie for the right quantities please, ( would need to be suitable for a small child)
Thankyou.

janeybops Fri 20-May-05 18:47:26

the chemist will sell you some diarolite (sp?)
that is what I have always used.

Mud Fri 20-May-05 18:48:07

never heard of home made dioralyte - the salts in dioralyte are mineral salts not sodium - think home-made stuff might be an old-wives tale - though willing to be educated otherwise

Mud Fri 20-May-05 18:48:41

is it a sheep or a child ??

Mud Fri 20-May-05 18:52:11

here

but seriously if its a child (only confused cos you refer to 'it') then I wouldn't do this

bensmum3 Fri 20-May-05 19:00:24

Thankyou Mud,
She is an orphan lamb,(sheep), we are bottle feeding her, but due to never having the colostrum most lambs get she's more at risk of infection, I have given antibiotics, but need to sort out the dehydration quickly.
thankyou again.

lima Fri 20-May-05 19:04:49

The Bounty guide says to make up your own ORT solution: mix 1 teasp salt and 8 teasp sugar with 1 litre of boiled water

LIZS Fri 20-May-05 19:05:26

Wouldn't try to do a homemade version tbh, not the same as the prepared rehydration sachets, although possible protem alternatives may include diluted flat Coke, dilute Ribena or similar, plain water or a suitable herbal tea (ie.fennel) depending on age of "small child" .

LIZS Fri 20-May-05 19:06:06

oops posts crossed lol !

NotQuiteCockney Fri 20-May-05 19:19:28

The homemade version is as good as dioralyte, from what I know - it's just salt and sugar and water.

That being said, I always just use dioralyte, as DS1 likes the flavour, and it's easier, if strangely expensive, for what it is.

SoupDragon Fri 20-May-05 19:24:47

Each Dioralyte sachet contains: glucose 3.56 g, sodium chloride 0.47 g, potassium chloride 0.30 g and disodium hydrogen citrate 0.53 g as active ingredients.

Also contains: silicon dioxide, saccharin sodium, lemon/lime flavour (citrus packs only), blackcurrant flavour (blackcurrant packs only).

tamum Fri 20-May-05 19:26:39

Yes, the homemade version is fine, even for human children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now