Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

abortion anyone else been here?

(10 Posts)
mothersmilk Mon 20-Jul-09 10:28:22

i didnt know were to post this so i thought id try here please dont judge me im booked to see my doc today with dh to discuss having a termination i dont know how far gone i am due ti the fact im bf and havnt had a period in 19 months has anyone else been here can you give me some insight?
the dissition is made and final so i just want to know what to expect i have googled but i just wondered if anyone would care to share there experience with me/
thankyou very much in advance
i haVE THREE CHILDREN TO RUN AFTER SO IM NOT BEING RUDE IF I DONT REPLY

chim000 Mon 20-Jul-09 10:36:32

Hi mothersmilk. I had a termination last October. I chose the surgical termination as I had heard so many horrible stories about the medical abortion. I was lucky as I was 1st down. I was at the hospital at 14:00, and home again by 15:40. That evening I ate a massive dinner, the 1st time I'd really been able to eat for the last 5 weeks. The followig morning I woke up, 'bouncing aroud like Tigger' as my friend described me! I had a week booked off of work, but could quite easily have gone back sooner. The bleeding stopped by the evening of the operation.

Mentally it was the best thing for me because the pregnancy was making me suicidal which is so far away from the normal me.

Good luck with the appointment later.

madwomanintheattic Mon 20-Jul-09 10:38:56

there is a 'support for terminations' thread running.

no judging here, but med profs will need to check to see how far along you are, and whether they can terminate at that stage. so you will potentially need to have scans etc.

assuming you have got time, try to get your head round it a little and make sure - take some counselling etc if offered so that you can be sure you have made the right decision.

(i have had a termination, but a long time ago. it was fine, but dates etc are pretty crucial for which method is used etc (early terminations are less traumatic than later terminations for obvious reasons), so you do need to be prepared for going through a scan.)

make sure you have the opportunity to talk through your decision and rationale with someone not emotionally or politically connected with the outcome.

mothersmilk Mon 20-Jul-09 13:14:32

madwomanintheheat can you provide a link as i cant seem to find it? thankyiou

blissa Mon 20-Jul-09 13:36:16

Hi mothersilk, I am booked in tomorrow to have a termination. I am nearly 7 weeks. I have had clotting problems and so they have been extra cautious with me, I had to have blood tests a couple of weeks ago. I cannot have the pills due to the clots and so am having the surgical option with a local anaesthetic to reduce the risk.

I too have 3 dcs, and although I know this is the right decision, I am finding it difficult to get my head around.

When I went for my consulatation they did a scan, but I was too early for them to see anything, so I will have to have another tomorrow. The screen is a lot smaller, and was turned away so I couldn't see anything.

aoneoffnamechange Mon 20-Jul-09 13:43:15

i had one over a year ago,i have children and have had ivf so saw both sides of the story,i just knew the choice to make,my husband felt the same,i warned him to watch me as our youngest was still a baby so the normal overprotective mothering was still in place for my child,but wierdly i didnt have that for the pregnancy,and i was scared i might crack the first time i held our child after the termination. i didnt,i had the medical termination because i was 2weeks late so very early on, i dont have any regrets but do love children and adore babies,i must have logically dealt with the experience for it not to have affected me long term,but i will never forget and will always have i suppose a place inside me for the pregnancy i didnt continue with,keep safe x

mothersmilk Mon 20-Jul-09 13:47:46

good luck blissa thankyou for sharing it with me although its the right decision for me to i too find it hard to get my head round

slug Mon 20-Jul-09 13:49:25

I had one at 10 weeks a few years ago. I opted for a general anaesthetic (because I was so far along).

It was pretty smooth. Even with the GA I was in and out within a few hours. I walked home and was fine the next day. I never regretted my decision, it was the right thing to do at the time.

madwomanintheattic Mon 20-Jul-09 13:58:14

i think it is called 'support thread' or similar - can't find it at the mo...

there are loads of threads coming up on advanced search though, they might be useful to you.

best wishes for your gp appointment.

LadyPinkofPinkerton Mon 20-Jul-09 14:08:48

I have had two. For very different reasons and a long time apart.

My second experience is the one closest to your situation so I'll tell you about that.

It was in February this year. I had a scan to see how far along I was. They will turn the screen away if you want them to.

I opted for the medical option as I was only about 6 weeks. It was just like a heavy period and I didn't actually have any pain.

I would have been due at the end of September and still feel I did absolutely the right thing. I would love another baby but I was not mentally in a position to cope with pregnant at that time, and still wouldn't cope now.

Hope everything goes okay for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now