Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Home-made bug busting remedies that WORK!

(10 Posts)
MrsMerryHenry Mon 20-Jul-09 10:18:09

Okay, this week I've discovered the following:

1) Tummy bugs can't survive/ reproduce in acidic conditions. Forget flat coke, etc etc as you need a sugar-free solution for these critters. You gulp down about 1 tbsp each of vinegar and lemon juice (just swallow, don't taste). I did this and managed to eat within a few hours with no naaasty repercussions. Might make you retch a teensy bit for a few seconds after swallowing but it works.

2) Tonsillitis (which I've had for well over a year) can't survive in harsh conditions either, such as...gargling with vodka! After two nights in a row of gargling with a capful of the stuff (swallow if you wish wink) my throat is clear! Yippee!

Feel free to add more tips...

cocolepew Mon 20-Jul-09 10:22:51

Cleaning or spraying with diluted Tea Tree oil kills everything

according to my mum.

MrsMerryHenry Mon 20-Jul-09 10:42:12

How diluted, coco?

cocolepew Mon 20-Jul-09 10:45:41

Umm, don't know blush I think a couple of drops in a spray bottle. I know it is reccommended to take Tea Tree oil wipes into hospital to wipe down your tray. My mum thinks it cures anything and everything.

Manuka honey is good for your digestive system and sore throats.

MarieCeleste Mon 20-Jul-09 10:57:28

Could you please ask your mum if I can use tea tree oil on my dog??

Here's my unanswered thread about it. (Self-pitying emoticon)

I agree with her that tea tree oil is very handy! And manuka honey is fab. And I would add that garlic cures a million things, too. In fact for my dog's wart, it's a toss-up between putting lemon juice, garlic or tea tree oil on it - but tea tree oil would be the most convenient.

Chicken soup is supposed to be really good for healing as well - not just a myth. It's something to do with boiling up the bones and sinews, which results in some gelatinous miracle healing substance. You can see I'm familiar with the science of all this.

cocolepew Mon 20-Jul-09 13:36:58

Says here no.

cocolepew Mon 20-Jul-09 13:38:30

Says here yes.
hmm

MarieCeleste Mon 20-Jul-09 15:45:42

Oh thanks, I'd better not then. Back to the lemon juice and garlic idea, sigh.

RinkyDinkyPinky Mon 20-Jul-09 17:29:57

onions have lots of chemicals that aid the immune system so:-
a. cut an onion in half
b. put a tbsp of runny honey on a saucer and spread in a circle
c. place cut half of onion down on the honey and leave overnight/ for 12 hours (this draws the juices from the onion)
d. drink the honey

It's not as bad as you might think, it's safe and it can be given to kids.
smile

MrsMerryHenry Wed 22-Jul-09 23:25:40

RinkyDinky - I think my immune system needs a boost (not least because I'm always up until the small hours) so might well try that...

Manuka honey gets all thumbs up in our household!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now