Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help with serious PMT

(23 Posts)
lisad123 Sun 19-Jul-09 22:35:38

I know some might think im being silly but PMT is getting so bad. The 2 days before and day of my periods is terrible. Im tearful, dont want to leave the house (I do because i have to), dont want to talk to anyone and feel like the world is falling apart. I keep thinking its a reaction to everything going on and relaise its PMT, but dont know how to break cycle.

Anyone got any hints/tips? My poor family have to tiptoe around me, its not fair.

drlove8 Sun 19-Jul-09 23:18:21

vitamin b6 is supposed to help. bump 4 you

candyfluff Mon 20-Jul-09 09:08:29

multi vit with b vitamins and also try starflower oil its helped me a little -bit pricey though

saggyjuju Mon 20-Jul-09 13:22:36

i think i ignored really stupidly quite extreme pmt,one day my son said mummy why are you so nasty? this was after my daughter who is 4 said i always have a sad face, i use agnus castus and i felt it worked,however am now awaiting blood results for a thyroid test and since i've looked into the symptoms alot cross over so will have to wait and see,good look though

SheDancesTheFlamingo Mon 20-Jul-09 13:57:06

Sounds like Pre-Menstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) to me. You (and your family) have my utmost symapthies -I'm a sufferer and it blighted my life for a long time.
The only thing that worked for me was a daily low dose (20mg) of prozac. It doesn't always get rid of the moods totally, but certainly controls them to a level where I can deal with them rationally.
Good luck

cocolepew Mon 20-Jul-09 14:00:10

Daily fish oils, a 'womans' vitamin supplement helps with th B vitamins, magnesium. I'm about to start on Agnus ccatus, I was reading that Milk Thistle 'mops' up hormones from your body and helps secret them. I'm trying this as I have a very sluggish system.

cocolepew Mon 20-Jul-09 14:01:56

Some of the Flower rememdies might help.

Rumpel Mon 20-Jul-09 14:04:38

Agnus castus is fab - better in tincture form rather than tablets as it gets right into your system quicker. You need to take for 6 weeks to feel considerable difference. Essential fatty acids i your diet are inportnat too - avocados, oily fish, flaxseeds/linseeds.
Best to take B6 as a complete Bcomplex as you absorb them better this way. I take mag phos 8 tissue salts for the achey leg/cramps I get too - get in in Boots.

www.woodlandherbs.co.uk

Is where i get my agnus castus from.

Rumpel Mon 20-Jul-09 14:06:10

Bach flower remedies - beech for intolerance, olive for feeling overwhelmed, mimulus for known fears, crab apple for not liking yourself very much.

cocolepew Mon 20-Jul-09 14:14:36

this site has a rememdy finder, you click on the things that apply to you and it makes one up. I've used it for my DDs anxiety and it's very good.

saramoon Mon 20-Jul-09 16:05:03

Starflower oil has helped my pmt

rupertsabear Mon 20-Jul-09 20:19:36

Ask GP for anti-depressants. You only need to take them those most black days so don't have to worry about addiction.

lisad123 Mon 20-Jul-09 20:30:31

right been out and brought starflower oil and vit B tablets. Im hoping this works, this month has been worse ever. Thanks very much ladies.

I think i would only go to GP if things got worse, and I hate taking tablets as it is. Now do i start these now or just before periods??

cocolepew Mon 20-Jul-09 20:33:14

Now, and don't stop taking them. It can be 3 months before you really notice a difference.

rookiemater Mon 20-Jul-09 20:34:09

Evening primrose seems to help for the emotional aspect of PMT for me, think starflower oil would be similar. You need to start anything straight away, it may take up to 2 months to have an improvement on your symptoms.

rupertsabear Mon 20-Jul-09 20:36:15

I remember reading once that you should keep your blood sugar levels stable by eating something with low glycaemic index every 3 hours. Even a piece of ryvita would do the trick.

lisad123 Mon 20-Jul-09 20:37:55

hmm eating, yes terrible at findin time to eat, regular at work hmm

right will start tomorrow morning.

saggyjuju Mon 20-Jul-09 20:59:41

am pretty sure its such a serious condition that its been taken into account when women have commited a crime,its a wonder we all arent locked up,i certainly think i'm capable of murder at the dreaded times! joking aside i really have to be aware of my tolerance levels with the kiddies,i have got that switch off point but some women havent

lisad123 Mon 20-Jul-09 21:04:45

im fully aware of my levels when PMT kicks in, i just have to leave the room

saramoon Tue 21-Jul-09 10:41:53

Yes, starflower oil took a couple of months to kick in but it really has made a difference. And eating regularly really makes a difference too as well as no alcohol and no sugar. Not that i am capable of doing that, not the sugar thing anyway but i do not drink any alcohol the two weeks before my period as it seems to make it worse. Good luck.

lisad123 Tue 21-Jul-09 21:25:56

i dont drink very much at all, maybe a glass of wine once in a blue moon.

bramblebooks Wed 22-Jul-09 08:03:13

I used geranium oil which was amazing - a few drops in a small amount of a carrier, which I then massaged into wrist pulse points and also used as a stomach massage. It's supposed to balance hormones and sure worked for me!

chunglimum Wed 22-Jul-09 08:13:19

I was similar until I read "No More PMS!" by Maryon Stewart. It hasn't been easy but these days my period usually takes me by surprise. Give it a try... good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now