Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chest and sinus infection that doesn't seem to be clearing up, Do I go back to GP or wait a few more days?

(11 Posts)
mynaughtylittlesister Sun 19-Jul-09 22:02:06

Have had an awful cough for nearly 10 wks now, at first I thought it was a chest infection, but I wasn't ill with it and so persevered and never went to the GP! Then about 3wks ago my sinus's became inflamed and within days it went into my gums. I eventually saw GP last Monday and he diagnosed me with a low grade chest infection, a sinus infection and he said that my glands were also up in my neck (unbeknown to me!)

He prescribed antibiotics (which really surprised me as my surgery very rarely give them out).
Well I finish them tomorrow morning and I now feel worse than when I went to see him last week. DH has said I sound worse. I have no temperature just feel a tad rough.

What do I do, wait a few days to see if it goes on its own, or go back tomorrow and ask for more antibiotics?

PS I really do not think this is swine flu!

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sun 19-Jul-09 22:05:59

Go to your GP in the morning. smile

I hope you are feeling better soon.

lisad123 Sun 19-Jul-09 22:07:55

go back, you need extra help to help your body fight this.

mynaughtylittlesister Sun 19-Jul-09 22:23:37

Thanks guys, that is what I thought, but didn't want to make too much of it as I had waited so long in the first place!blush

philmassive Sun 19-Jul-09 22:25:41

Please, please go back to your GP. I had a very similar experience last Summer and I ended up with pneumonia which only cleared up after my fifth lot of antibiotics. Mine went on for a good 8 weeks or so before they sent me for a chest x-ray and actually treated me.

I felt utterly dreadful and truly it was at least January before I really felt like I was back to my usual self. I am still more short of breath than I ever was before I had the pneumonia.

Go back, don't leave it. With any luck it will be nothing but don't let it get a hold and make you really poorly.

brimfull Sun 19-Jul-09 22:27:04

Go back to your GP

you may need different antibiotics or maybe a short course of steroids

iI had this a few yrs ago ,it was hell I really feel for you

I thought I was going to die from all the coughing

mynaughtylittlesister Sun 19-Jul-09 22:32:05

ok, will do.

Just feel a bit awkward at the moment with the amount of swine flu around, I may be fussing over nothing.

Also wasn't sure if I needed to wait any longer to see if the antibiotics would do more.

brimfull Sun 19-Jul-09 22:35:37

Have you finished you course of ABs?

mynaughtylittlesister Sun 19-Jul-09 22:52:07

I take my last one tomorrow morning. Then I would have had 21 Amoxicyllin

brimfull Sun 19-Jul-09 22:54:51

If you're still feeling rough or have still have a cough then you are justified seeing doc again

mynaughtylittlesister Mon 20-Jul-09 11:12:38

Have just returned from Drs. Still have chest infection so he has prescribed me Erythromycin for a week. Fingers crossed these work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now