Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help! Do I need the morning after pill??

(14 Posts)
PepperPotts Sun 19-Jul-09 21:21:46

Am new to this so not sure which topic to put it in, apologies if it's the wrong one!

I'm on the prostregen only pill therefore have a 12 hour window in which to take it, I take it at 11 ish every night.......Apart from last night (as I've only just realised) and of course DH and I had sex about 7.30 this morning.

Am I covered as it was within the 12 hour window-so I sort of missed the pill after the event? If that makes any sense at all!

Thanks a lot!

Ewe Sun 19-Jul-09 21:24:10

I have done this before and I was told that it would cover me for that day and I just needed to use additional contraception for seven days after.

You should have a booklet in pill box that explains for your specific pill as they are all different. Or google the name of it and there might be online version.

PepperPotts Sun 19-Jul-09 21:46:59

Thank you, I have looked through the booklet but can't find any reference to it.

I shall have a google too!

PepperPotts Sun 19-Jul-09 21:47:32

Thank you, I have looked through the booklet but can't find any reference to it.

I shall have a google too!

ButterbeerAndLemon Sun 19-Jul-09 21:48:27

Is there a helpline number to call?

expertinscunthorpe Sun 19-Jul-09 21:48:36

I would take the MAP if I were in your shoes.

Ewe Sun 19-Jul-09 21:49:18

If pregnancy is an absolute disaster then take the MAP imo, better safe than sorry and all that.

MrsJamesMartin Sun 19-Jul-09 21:52:11

You don't need MAP if you took your 'missed' pill by 11 am this morning. If you didn't then yes you might want to consider it.

PepperPotts Sun 19-Jul-09 21:56:46

No I didn't take it, I only realised tonight I hadn't taken it.

I have found a Family Planning Association helpline number so I'll give that a ring in the morning and see what they say.

Much as I'd love number 3 the timing would be dreadful!

Thanks for all your help!

emma1977 Sun 19-Jul-09 22:02:57

Cerazette is the only POP with a 12hr window. Older POPs only have a 3hr window. I assume you're taking cerazette.

You may have lost the contraceptive efficacy if you didn't remember your missed pill by 11am. I would advise the MAP. Remeber its most effective taken as soon afer the event as possible- some A&Es, late pharmacies and out of hours GPs can prescribe and dispense prior to waiting for tomorrow.

You will be pleased to know that you only have to use 'additional precautions' for 48hrs after this type of missed pill, not 7 days.

expertinscunthorpe Sun 19-Jul-09 22:05:11

Oooh, yes, that's true, I only had a 3 hour window for my mini pill.

Sidge Sun 19-Jul-09 22:05:28

Which pill are you on? Most POPs have a 3 hour window, not 12. If you are on Cerazette then it's 12. Either way though you have missed a pill.

You may need the MAP. Scroll down to Pill Taking - Education

Sidge Sun 19-Jul-09 22:06:16

Typed too slow and x-posted with emma1977!

PepperPotts Sun 19-Jul-09 22:15:15

Yep, it's Cerazette.

This is so typical, I always remember it and with 2 pre-schoolers rarely actually get down to needing it!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now