Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ankle strain and voltrol

(6 Posts)
NotQuiteCockney Fri 20-May-05 17:31:38

Coming down the stairs today, I strained my ankle. I'm sure it's not broken, as I could walk on it right away. It hurts more, the more I rest it and then walk.

There are no big scary bumps. It just really hurts.

If, by chance, I happened to have some leftover voltrol (diclofenac) from an old (but not past-date) prescription, would taking it help? It's a fairly severe anti-inflammatory.

noddyholder Fri 20-May-05 17:34:44

it will still work I would think I had it once for my neck but it gives you a dodgy stomach but only if you take it for a while It is for that sort of thing I think

Mud Fri 20-May-05 17:35:47

rest elevation cold compress don't self-medicate get it checked out

I once broke my ankle and my leg in 2 places, I was able to walk on it and wiggle my toes though it did swell up

misdee Fri 20-May-05 17:39:10

it'll help yes. i have it for when my neck p[lays up.

NotQuiteCockney Fri 20-May-05 17:49:55

I see your point, Mud, but I can't face A+E, and everything else is shut now. If it's still bad on Monday, I'll go see someone, I promise.

(And yeah, I know, RICE = rest ice compression elevation. I do have an ice pack, but I also have two kids and tea to make. Grr.)

I think I'm off to take a voltrol, then.

NotQuiteCockney Sat 21-May-05 07:28:35

Well, I took one voltrol last night, and no other painkillers. And my ankle is fine today. It feels a bit wobbly, so I won't be doing big walks, but it's certainly on the mend.

It might have healed this fast without the voltrol, who knows.

(I was pretty sure it was a soft-tissue injury because I could move the ankle fine without significant discomfort, it was just weight bearing that was impossible.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now