Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

AF every 2 weeks and 2 days - what to do for the best? (TMI)

(9 Posts)
Feenie Sun 19-Jul-09 10:18:59

Don't know if anyone can add to this......since having ds 3 years ago, my periods have gradually become more heavy and more frequent. They have always been heavy and painful, but I used to have a 26 day cycle, which I could cope with.

Now I have 8 days on, and 9 days off, before it starts all over again. Days 2 and 3 are particularly grim - lots of blood, clots (sorry if tmi), hard to control with super tampax and sanitary towels, have to sleep on a towel, that kind of thing.

Visited GP who agreed this was unliveable with. She suggested Mirena or mini-pill. (Don't want to do combined pill or Depo because am still trying to lose a stone and a half since having ds).

Have since googled mini-pill and discovered that it isn't recommended for anyone who has had ovarian cysts (I had a dermoid cyst and a couple of normal ones removed 13 years ago.)

So am left with Mirena. What if it doesn't work? And why the hell is my cycle so short?

If anyone has been through similar would like to hear their experiences please.

EldonAve Sun 19-Jul-09 10:23:49

Go back to your GP and ask for a gynae referral

They ought to investigate to try to find the cause
You can take other medication (not contraception) to try to reduce the blood loss too

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 19-Jul-09 10:59:08

Would agree with EldonAve - ask for an urgent referral to a gynaecologist.

Mirena coil etc will only address the symptoms; it is definately in your interests to find out what the CAUSE is. You certainly should not have to put up with this. Both fibroids and endometriosis can cause such bleeding (and with endo pain is a feature as well) to arise.

geordieminx Sun 19-Jul-09 11:01:22

I've had similar for the past 4 months, have had blood tests, interal and ultra sounds - all come back clear, so am in a similar position, and dont really know where to go from here. Its exhausting. sad

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 19-Jul-09 15:41:35

geordieminx

None of those tests you've had done would detect endometriosis if it is present. The usual way it is diagnosed is via a keyhole surgery op called a laparoscopy.

Are you under the care of a gynae currently; if not I would be seeing such a person asap.

geordieminx Sun 19-Jul-09 15:53:15

Nope, nothing like that has been mentioned, just bloods, internal then an untra-sound.

I have made an appointment to see my GP again this week to see what she says. I currently have the copper coil in.. would that make a difference?

this is the thread I started last month

geordieminx Sun 19-Jul-09 16:00:08

Just wiki'd endometriosis, as I know nothing about it -

nausea, vomiting, fainting, dizzy spells, vertigo or diarrhea—particularly just prior to or during the period or after
frequent or constant menses flow chronic fatigue
heavy or long uncontrolable menstrual periods with small or large blood clots
some women may also suffer mood swings
extreme pain in legs and thighs
Back pain
extreme pain from frequent ovarian cysts
Pain from adhesions which may bind an ovary to the side of the pelvic wall, or they may extend between the bladder and the bowel,uterus, etc
extreme pain with or without the presence of menses
mild to severe constipation[citation needed]
frequent uti's
urgent diarrhea
difficulty carrying out normal day to day tasks
incontinence
anemia

I could put a tick against most of these sad

ohbabygivemeonemorechance Sun 19-Jul-09 16:01:20

are you in the age for the peri menopause?

suggest gynae referral as others have,she may well do a hysteroscopy to check cells from the lining of the uterus/womb,and could put in a mirena at the same time.

tranexamic acid is good on the day for very heavy bleeding

mirena lessens flow eventually but can often cause heavy bleeding for first few months~it reduces the thickness of the lining of the uterus.

Some women experience nervousness/mood problems with the mirena,and if you want it to be removed,it has to be done by a doctor.

Feenie Sun 19-Jul-09 18:13:36

I am 37 - would that qualify?

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions - will go back to GP and request a gynae referral.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now