Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can chicken pox ever be 'slow onset'?

(7 Posts)
dandycandyjellybean Sun 19-Jul-09 07:59:57

My ds 3.9 has gradually over the last 24 hours developed a few spots here and there, starting with about 6 of varying sizes dotted around his back. Only one with a blister, which was immediately knocked off!!! Then in the bath I noticed a few more on his tummy, one on each foot, but only a couple had tiny pinprick blisters, the rest just red raised lumps.

I fully expected him to wake up covered, but other than a couple more, and a general itchiness/malaise, nothing? If not cp, any ideas what it could be? It seems too dispirate (sp) to be an allergic reaction, but can't make head or tails of it.

Blackduck Sun 19-Jul-09 08:03:51

Ds was never really covered in them.. couple on back and shoulders and that (apart from amjor cluster on todge - poor boy) was it....so think it can differ from child to child.

Malkuth Sun 19-Jul-09 08:04:28

My two had it really mildly. Not many spots, not v ill etc. Right up until day 14 or so when it was supposed to be on the mend. Then boom, loads of spots, v unwell, on anti-biotics for secondary infections etc. At least they should be well and truly immune now!

dandycandyjellybean Sun 19-Jul-09 08:06:54

Thanks guys. Do all the spots have to be blistery?

justnally Sun 19-Jul-09 09:21:30

Same here. DD2 (nearly 3) yesterday afternoon started developing spots on her face which quickly became raised and angry looking. Some of them look like proper teenage spots! They were on the back of her neck and around her ears as well. I looked at the rest of her and she had smaller spots appearing in most places before my eyes! 2 nights before she had been up for hours with high temp, which rose to 39.4 and was complaining about tummy ache. There is chicken pox going around at pre-school. I am a CM so contacted parents yesterday to let them know that she might have it.... however, I expected her to have more this morning. The ones on her face have remained the same, the little ones on her body are also still the same. Might phone NHS Direct. Any thoughts?

dandycandyjellybean Sun 19-Jul-09 09:47:54

Well, they are now popping out practically as I watch! Not all of them have blisters, but the ones he had early yesterday are developing them, and some of his brand new ones are so I am fairly certain now that it is the dreaded cp. Ds has had a really snotty cold and cough for almost 3 weeks, but has felt fine, not even been the slightest bit poorly with it.

Still none on his face at mo, some in hairline and back of neck. Just trimmed his nails really really short. Neighbour dropping by later with calomine lotion and piriton. Hope yours clears up justnally. smile

justnally Sun 19-Jul-09 10:01:46

ta x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now