Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Calling those with Swine Flu - what did you do for the sore throat, am consdiering cutting mine???

(15 Posts)
BlueBumedFly Sat 18-Jul-09 19:34:20

Hi all you poor people out there that have Swine Flu and/or symptoms of.

Please can you tell me what you are doing for the sore throat as I cannot manage to get it to abate for single second. Now, I have a pretty high pain threshold as a lifetime of sports injuries, marathons and mountain climbs will testify to.

But this is ridiculous!! I have tried nurofen and paracetomol, in combination with one another. Am allergic to asprin (it makes me vomit) and am taking my Tamiflu as directed.

There are no white spots on my tonsils so I know it is not tonsilitis in combination with SF which I have been told by my Doc can happen as a secondary infection.

So, please, someone, any ideas? You all have my utmost sympathies. There is so much in the press about this all being hyped up but all I can say is walk a mile in the shoes of someone who has got it and then think of a sore throat remedy - please!?!?!

CarolineDB Sat 18-Jul-09 22:13:25

Hey

I don't have swine flu, but I used to suffer a lot with tonsilitis.

I found lukewarm water helped mine.

xx

Frizbe Sat 18-Jul-09 22:14:20

Dequadin, from pharmacy

whomovedmychocolate Sat 18-Jul-09 22:15:02

Gargle mouthwash - is the only thing helping me. Corsodyl if you can get it (short term use only it can stain teeth if you use it for longer than a week).

Frizbe Sat 18-Jul-09 22:15:20

btw I've found honey and lemon seems to make mine worse, does anyone else have this problem? the dequadin is the only thing that has touched it.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 18-Jul-09 22:15:23

lots of ice pops can help or sip ice water. Also can a friend go out and get a throat spray from the chemist for you?

bargainhuntingbetty Sat 18-Jul-09 22:15:55

Ice cubes?? Or warm juice with honey in it. HHoney coats the throat and it also has an antiseptic thing in it which helps fight infection. I once hadd tonsilitis as an adult (was prone to it as a child) andd found that suucking ice cubes really helped. Hope you feel better soon

bargainhuntingbetty Sat 18-Jul-09 22:17:01

Oh oh also, gargling with soluble Solpodol (spelling?) works wonders. Dont swallow it tho.

EldonAve Sat 18-Jul-09 22:18:31

decquadin or decquacaine - no idea if the spelling is anywhere near!

BlueBumedFly Sat 18-Jul-09 22:31:14

Thank you thank you. Will try the decacain/din stuff for sure, will have to dispatch dh in the am.

Friz - I tried lemon and honey too and it really hurt!!!

Have now tried warm water and that was nice (hear BBF actually sighing) and about to raid the cupboard for corsydl - I use that for mouth ulcers and I think it renders me devoid of taste buds for a few hours so it's got to be strong!

Will also ask dh to get spray and solpodol.

I feel a right crock!! Thank you all so much for responding, hope everyone else feels better soonest xx

mum2RandR Sun 19-Jul-09 15:13:38

Hope you are feeling a bit better now. Unfortunately I dont have any advice on relieving your sore throat but just want you to know I was in your exact situation a few weeks ago. Had swine flu symptoms (fever, aches, sore throat) was prescribed tamiflu 3 days after symptoms appeared, but still had an excruciating sore throat.
I also consider myself to have a high pain threshold but this reduced me to tears - it was ridiculous! I couldnt swallow, my ear was throbbing, my neck was swollen on one side and I felt awful.
Ended up going to the hospital 1 week after symptoms appeared and was prescribed penicillin which cleared it up. The doctors said I had a really swollen throat and possibly an abscess.
Started wondering if I ever had swine flu, but after reading your post about tonsilitis occuring as a secondary infection Im now beginning to wonder.
Anyway hope you feel better, just wanted to share my experience with you in case your sore throat gets worse and possibly develops into what I had. Wouldnt wish that on my worst enemy!

BlueBumedFly Sun 19-Jul-09 17:18:09

Mum2. - thank you so much for posting, it really is horrible. Doc said to call back tomorrow as I may need penacillin too, it is like nothing I have ever known!! I am so sorry you ended up in hospital, how dreadful for you, I was hoping to be better by midweek. I am going to call first thing if it is still this bad, thanks for prompting me on that.

It makes me smile that there seems to be quite a lot of stuff out there about over reactions .....If only they could share the cactus and razor blades that seem to have taken up residence in my throat!

acebaby Sun 19-Jul-09 18:25:43

I had hand foot and mouth a few weeks ago (caught from DS2) with blisters in my throat, which were agony. I almost passed out when I sneezed from the pain.

I got an anaesthetic spray from the chemist, which really helped. Also slowly sipping water through a straw helped.

Sounds grim - hope you feel better soon!

mum2RandR Mon 20-Jul-09 10:54:58

Hi hope you are feeling better this morning. I know what you mean about the razor blade throat - its awful!

BlueBumedFly Mon 20-Jul-09 11:15:25

Hiya Mum2R - much better thank you for asking, just waiting for the sore throat to go now.... downgraded from cactus to spiky hairbrush....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: