Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

anyone working for the NHS trust on here in a high risk group (e.g. pg or diabetic), what adivce have they given you?

(10 Posts)
minxofmancunia Fri 17-Jul-09 15:52:32

Am 7 months pg, have a dd 2.9 at home, am in daily contact with children in the community, have been given no advice whatsoever about guidelines for high risk groups of staff.

Infection control told me "I could get it walking round tescos".

Am getting increasingly stressed and frustrated about lack of info, as far as I can tell pg women and under 5s are most at risk for complications/mortality and that's me and dd sad alongside those with the ubiquitous "underlying health conditions". Also work in a high risk environment.

Really need advice on how to approach this with employers, only have 2 weeks left at work but getting anxious and cross.

minxofmancunia Fri 17-Jul-09 15:56:17

Am cleaning office and hands after every consulation as is my colleague.

Also waiting room and offices here full f toys which to me is a real infection control risk, no advice re this either. They're totally on the ball with it on the wards alcohol gel, barrier nursing etc. as they should be but no one seems concerend about us out in the community sad

mosschops30 Fri 17-Jul-09 15:57:43

Work in the NHS, nursing staff (although off at moment on bed rest with low iron).
Am 23 wks pg.

Absolutely no advise given whatsoever, dont think its even been mentioned

Woooozle100 Fri 17-Jul-09 16:01:14

not to come in if we feel ill

are you concerned that as an nhs worker you are more likely to come into contact with it?

I work for the nhs (not patient facing) and it worries me. Mostly because I have a 4 yo with multiple health problems(prob all the ones listed as an 'underlying issue')

the advice from infection control is right really. You could pick up from anywhere

At least in work you are following hand hygiene procedures which is bit hard when yr pushing trolly round tescos

No advice where I work and 7 of my collegues on the ward are pregnant.

minxofmancunia Fri 17-Jul-09 16:06:17

thanks for your replies, I know I can't live in a bubble and have to look at the stats and not panic.

The issue Isuppose Pixiemason is that myself and my colleage have bought our own hamd gel and anti-bac wipes (we work in CAMHS, mental health not seen as a priority for such things) and are doing all the extra cleaning ourselves. We've taken this on ourselves as a precaution.

When i attended the paed ward the other day they must have had about 8 new dispensers of alco gel put up on the wall and signs everywhere!

Just feel Infection Control could have been a bit more helpful generally.

Woooozle100 Fri 17-Jul-09 16:12:07

that's pretty poor, minx

agree that IC should be doing more and having to take yr own gel and wipes is quite shock

fruitymum Fri 17-Jul-09 16:19:25

I would get back onto infection control, your maternity co ordinator for the trust and order you alcohol gel and wipes through central stores. I can understand your anxiety
I am just about to start mat leave - also community based but fortunately out trust is a bit more supportive and forthcoming with info.

minxofmancunia Fri 17-Jul-09 17:14:49

just had a call from lovely nurse consultant lady at infection control apologising for the other nurses attitude. Admitted they have mainly been concentrating their efforts on in-patient services up until now (which is as it should be) but the stroppy email I sent to her has reminded them that they need to think about community services and will be publishing guidance for us next week.

Also will be issuing guidance for patients stating if they are symptomatic or has a family member who is they should cancel non urgent appointments, this applies to most of CAMHS unless child is suicidal/starving/psychotic.

Also said the pandemic is spreading far more quickly than anyone could anticipate and she's in meetings daily re what to do about it.

makes you think doesn't it?

BellaNoir Fri 17-Jul-09 23:27:54

The Trust guidance that was sent to our outpatients a day or so ago included instructions to clear away toys and magazines from waiting areas. The virus can survive for 24 hrs on hard surfaces and 4 hrs on soft surfaces

It does also state that any patient coming for an appt who has/may have H1N1 should be assessed on an individual basis to decide what the risks are off coming for the appt vs delaying

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now