Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Your best sore throat remedies please <<croak>>;

(14 Posts)
rubyslippers Fri 17-Jul-09 12:12:17

I am 28 weeks pregnant

have a horrid sore throat

have been mainlining honey and lemon plus paracetamol for 36 hours now

what else can i do ... throat red raw

TIA

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 17-Jul-09 12:16:25

Gargle with soluble aspirin? Not sure if this is OK when pregnant though.

Ice cream?

rubyslippers Fri 17-Jul-09 12:17:45

i already take baby aspirin for something unrelated so am not sure if i can take more

yes to ice cream - cookie dough or plain vanilla?!

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 17-Jul-09 12:19:17

Both if it's a really sore throat!

RubberDuck Fri 17-Jul-09 12:22:24

Twinings Lemon and Ginger tea with a teaspoon of honey and separate paracetamol I find is better and more effective than lemsip.

Gargle with Listerine twice a day (although this is more effective at the very first sign of any symptoms - I used to get tonsilitis/pharyngitis at the drop of a hat after every cold until I started doing this).

Ice lollies nice and soothing to eat when your throat is rough, ditto yoghurt - don't think they help per-se but at least are smooth and cool!

rubyslippers Fri 17-Jul-09 12:23:29

more food ideas - lovely smile

actually made some orange lollies for DS, so will snaffle one of them

Takver Fri 17-Jul-09 12:24:12

Can you use Tyrozets (sp?) when pregnant? If so they taste vile but they really work

ZZZenAgain Sat 18-Jul-09 20:41:15

gargle with salt water - 1/2 tsp salt to 1 cup water. Keep doing it.

Don't know how if there is any problem re pregnancy but elderberry juice is supposed to be good for all cold-flu symptoms including the sore throat. You need elderberry extract (Sambucol) though and not any kind of elderberry juice. You can just take some straight out of the bottle, or you can heat it with some lemon juice and honey added and then drink.

PestoMerlotMonster Sat 18-Jul-09 20:42:56

Strefen - buy it over the counter at your local pharmacy

Frizbe Sat 18-Jul-09 20:44:26

Check with the pharmacist if you can use Dequadin, is fab for sore throats, but not sure if for use in pregnancy.

parachutes Sat 18-Jul-09 20:44:34

Best thing for us is tea with a squeeze and few slices of lemon, 2tsps manuka honey and a few slices of ginger. It really does work a treat and tastes lovely.

ZZZenAgain Sat 18-Jul-09 20:47:32

yes ginger tea if you can be faffed is good
you need some fresh ginger root, chopped and cooked for about 15 minutes. Realise you may not have root ginger at home atm

Hope you feel better soon and congratulations on the pregnancy!

rubyslippers Mon 20-Jul-09 19:57:24

i am trying the ginger tea tonight

thanks for all the tips

smile

parachutes Tue 21-Jul-09 16:48:56

Did it help? I've never tried just ginger so wondered if it was any good. Probably brilliant if you're nauseous!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now