Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I can't remember the last time I had a period..........

(18 Posts)
MadreInglese Fri 17-Jul-09 11:13:09

No, it's not an am I/aren't I thread smile

I'm on the pill and have quite often run two packets together to skip a period for convenience. Lately I seem to have done this more and more and I can't remember the last time I had a break, perhaps 5 or 6 months ago.

My GP was not impressed when I mentioned it (he asked why I was back so soon for a repeat prescription). He said it was 'not advisable' but couldn't actually give me a specific reason why.

I find that if I have a break I suffer quite bad PMT and cramps and my skin breaks out horrendously, but if I run packets together I don't seem to experience the same peaks and troughs(although this may be psychosomatic IYSWIM).

Does anyone do similar, or know about the any possible dangers of continual pill-taking? Is there an increased risk of DVT? I have low blood pressure, am an ex-smoker and am otherwise fit and healthy.

GiraffeAHolic Fri 17-Jul-09 11:24:46

My dr told me it wasn't a problem to run packs back to back and said when he was training the female students often ran multiple packs back to back for up to a year to avoid periods while on long shifts etc.

MadreInglese Fri 17-Jul-09 12:36:08

That's interesting GiraffeAH

There just seems more cons than pros to having the break for a period (for me personally)

mrsmerryweather Fri 17-Jul-09 13:27:48

The lining of your womb builds up and you run the risk of endometrial cancer.

Iklboo Fri 17-Jul-09 13:29:57

You could try the Implanon implant - many women (including me) find their periods cease when using it

MadreInglese Fri 17-Jul-09 13:50:05

Really mrsmerryweather? How often should a break be taken with the pill then? What about women who have the injection and don't have periods?

Iklboo I don't like the idea of something so long term IYKWIM, I like the fact that I could stop the pill at any time if I wanted to <control freak>

Iklboo Fri 17-Jul-09 13:52:51

YOu can have the implant removed at any time in the 3 years its supposed to be in, but I see what you mean. Small op v not taking a tablet wink

BitOfFun Fri 17-Jul-09 13:56:41

Mirena stopped my periods, no op needed. Nody's told me I might get endometrial cancer either.

MadreInglese Fri 17-Jul-09 14:32:52

mrsmerryweather are you a health professional? I'm interested in where your information is from as I've never heard that before.

ThingOne Fri 17-Jul-09 17:25:36

I'm on HRT and taking oestrogen only HRT alone means you get a thickened womb lining and an increased risk of endometrial cancer. I've no idea if the same applies to the pill.

mrsmerryweather Fri 17-Jul-09 19:24:33

Madre- see the post by Thingone- with HRT you have to take a progestin every few months ( 3 month cycles) or every day to oppose the oestrogen. Okay, the Pill will already have some progesterone in it- so maybe the same won't apply- but it's worth asking your FPC or GP- there may well be a build up of the uterine lining which needs shedding to reduce the risk of anything going amiss.

mrsmerryweather Fri 17-Jul-09 19:25:26

Mirena is totally different- it contains progesterone not oestrogen.

mrsmerryweather Fri 17-Jul-09 19:37:52

This www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/birthcontrolandcontraception/203096.html gives you some answers- but the overall view here appears to be " not sure...possibly some risk...talk to your GP."

foofi Fri 17-Jul-09 20:02:25

madreInglese - I don't see why it's a problem taking pill packets without a break - lots of people do it. I did it for years. I think when they originally created the pill the idea was that it would stop women having periods altogether.

MadreInglese Wed 22-Jul-09 11:39:13

Thanks for your replies, has given me something to think about. I'm on Yasmin which is a combined pill.

Problem is, I did ask my GP and he couldn't tell me why, just that it wasn't advised hmm I wonder if I could see a different GP who might be able to tell me more...

notsoteenagemum Wed 22-Jul-09 11:45:18

Why don't you have the injection? Thats only once every three months.

FimbleHobbs Wed 22-Jul-09 12:04:50

I have the injection, it is the best contraception I have ever been on (so far), mainly as its reliability is not down to me using it properly or not smile

But its great not having periods, although I did have a v small bleed before my last injection was due, and a week of PMT rage, so now I am on a 10 week rather than 12 week schedule.

Of course you can't stop it instantly like the pill, but 12 weeks isn't that long really...

MadreInglese Wed 22-Jul-09 13:03:45

12 weeks is too long term for control freaky me smile

I have had bad experiences of hormonal loopiness in the past on various different pills, I'm really happy on the one I'm on now with no side affects that I notice, and I'd be nervous of the injection in case it affected me badly, then I'd be like that for 3 months

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now