Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

bad piles - what can be done?

(10 Posts)
Momino Thu 16-Jul-09 13:59:02

may be TMI, sorry.

I've had piles for years (runs in the family) and have had the worst bout of them ever in the past two months following birth of dd3 in may. I also feel like I've got some internal ones. sorry for TMI: they burn, occasionally bleed, i'm now slightly constipated and feel pressure like a pole stuck up my bum (only way to describe it, sorry! blush).

I've mentioned already to my GP who has just advised me to drink more water, eat fibre, etc. I'm going to see her again as they've not gone away.

if you've had piles, what did you do, if anything, to treat them? when does surgery get prescribed?

ouch.

Momino Thu 16-Jul-09 20:56:40

anyone? i know it's not the most pleasant of subjects...

Iworryalot Thu 16-Jul-09 21:08:07

hi momino , i to have had this ,well still do, only my DS is 7 i have internal piles ..that to bleed from time to time ..blush

im sure you can get creams over the counter from chemists? or ask your GP to give u something ...its not nice ,
its very common so when you have children .

a good healthy diet & lots of water , fruite, fibre , fruite smoothies to there really good , will help if your slightly constipated , i always start the day with a cup of tea or better still a cup of warm water with slice of lemon really get things going ...grin

hope things improve for you soon .x

Momino Thu 16-Jul-09 21:54:51

thanks for the reply, worry. I worry a lot as well and always freak out when i get bleeding (about every few months). that's why I want to get rid of them if possible or at least find something effective to keep them at bay.

I don't drink enough water so will try to increase that and will try to eat better as well. at the moment I'm eating mostly cakes (b/feeding cravings, I say) so not very healthy. If things don't improve in a few weeks, I think I'll ask my GP.

thanks for your advice.

Molecule Fri 17-Jul-09 17:16:40

I suffered from recurrent piles following birth of DD1 15 years ago. With each subsequent pregnancy they got steadily worse, but I did find that making sure I wasn't constipated was the best solution, so ditched all white bread etc and ate loads of whole grains, fruit etc.

The piles would flare up for a week or so, but then subside and I'd be OK for a bit. Last year the bit inbetween got shorter and shorter till after Christmas I had 6 weeks of constant pain. I had an operation in March (the proper, stay in overnight job)and have to say the aftermath was utterly excruciating; 4 sections were a doddle compared to the pain, especially after a poo, which would incapacitate me all day/keep me awake all night. I was off work for 6 weeks, and could really have done with longer. Only afterwards did Doctors etc admit just how painful it is.

So Momino, ditch the cakes in favour of wholemeal bread and flapjacks. If you are still constipated try Movicol. Hold out as long as you can for the operation is not to be undertaken lightly.

this has lots of info but doesn't explain the agony afterwards in enough detail.

Momino Fri 17-Jul-09 20:49:13

molecule, so sorry you went through all that, it does sound painful and definitely a last resort for me.

I'm going to do my best and go the fibre route but haven't had much luck lately. it's been 10 weeks since dd3's birth and i had pile probs before then and they're still bothering me. I will go to my GP in a couple weeks' time to see about creams, etc. if necessary. Will also look for Movicol.

I guess I'm also worried about the bleeding as there was one episode of a small bit of blood mixed in with faeces and darker than the usual bright red haemorroidal bleeding (TMI again sorry). with my dad having died of rectal cancer I guess I'm a bit paranoid.

that's why i just want to 'cure' these piles so i don't have to keep worrying.

thanks for your advice.

Plonketyplonk Sun 19-Jul-09 12:09:46

I had bad piles for a long time after the birth of dd2. In the end, I went to the hospital to have them injected. I've only been the once, but it can take more than one injection to solve the problem. If that doesn't work, they can do other things. Mention to your doc about the blood in poo. It'll hurry things up quite a bit.

moshie Sun 19-Jul-09 12:36:28

Your GP sounds very unsympathetic, mine was marvellous when I was suffering. I asked for an industrial strength solution and was prescribed Proctosedyl ointment and suppositories. What a relief!

brettgirl2 Sun 19-Jul-09 18:21:10

Yes, I had the same experience as Moshie - I was prescribed ointment/suppositories and they really made a different fast.

Momino Sun 19-Jul-09 21:41:22

thanks all, will talk to GP. also, HV suggested I take daily baths with tea tree oil. I've had the baths in the past 3 days and it has helped some. i don't have the internal achiness lately. Will let you know what GP says.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now