Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

HbA1c test results - can anyone advise?

(6 Posts)
MumHadEnough Thu 16-Jul-09 13:40:41

I phoned up for some blood results today and the receptionist gave me the results of the HbA1c test - "4.9% - shows good control if the patient is diabetic."

I have a condition which can cause diabetes hence why I think the doc has did the test. However, as far as I know I'm not. The thing that is confusing me though is that for 7 weeks now I have been following a Ketogenic diet and have had virtually no carbs or sugar throughout this time. Does this mean that if I had been eating a normally diet my HbA1c result would have been a much higher percentage, or does it just mean that my glucose levels are stable? I expected it to be virtually nothing.

Thanks in advance.

Spidermama Thu 16-Jul-09 13:44:32

Normal is between 4 and 7. Your body should regulate this and produce insulin to ensure the levels stay between 4-7.

My ds had his HbA1c yesterday and it was 8.1. sad We were very despondent since we've been trying so hard on a new insulin regime including carb counting. I would LOVE him to get a reading like yours but he never has. I think 7.2 was his best yet.

TigerFeet Thu 16-Jul-09 13:45:38

Your glucose levels are stable, at a normal level.

It would never be zero, the normal range is (I think, happy to be corrected) 4-7

So it's a good result

CMOTdibbler Thu 16-Jul-09 13:46:46

It shows that over the last 8-12 weeks, your blood glucose level has been averaging around 5 - which is normal.

Whatever you eat, you must always have glucose in your blood stream else you would be dead - below 3 you start feeling very unwell. When on a keto diet, your body breaks down fat and protein to make glucose.

Theres no way of knowing what your HbA1c would have been on a normal diet

Bleatblurt Thu 16-Jul-09 13:49:35

Oh I'm so envious. I just had my blood taken today so don't have my HbA1c results back but lately I've been lucky if I'd have a reading of under 10 when I've tested. sad

4.9 is excellent, btw. grin

MumHadEnough Thu 16-Jul-09 13:52:39

Thank you all, I'd kind of talked myself into thinking I must be diabetic and that if it was eating carbs it would be sky high!

I will mention to the doc when I see her anyway that obviously that result has not come from me eating a normal diet. She knows I've been doing it though as its been helping with other problems I have.

Thanks again! grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now