Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

HbA1c test results - can anyone advise?

(6 Posts)
MumHadEnough Thu 16-Jul-09 13:40:41

I phoned up for some blood results today and the receptionist gave me the results of the HbA1c test - "4.9% - shows good control if the patient is diabetic."

I have a condition which can cause diabetes hence why I think the doc has did the test. However, as far as I know I'm not. The thing that is confusing me though is that for 7 weeks now I have been following a Ketogenic diet and have had virtually no carbs or sugar throughout this time. Does this mean that if I had been eating a normally diet my HbA1c result would have been a much higher percentage, or does it just mean that my glucose levels are stable? I expected it to be virtually nothing.

Thanks in advance.

Spidermama Thu 16-Jul-09 13:44:32

Normal is between 4 and 7. Your body should regulate this and produce insulin to ensure the levels stay between 4-7.

My ds had his HbA1c yesterday and it was 8.1. sad We were very despondent since we've been trying so hard on a new insulin regime including carb counting. I would LOVE him to get a reading like yours but he never has. I think 7.2 was his best yet.

TigerFeet Thu 16-Jul-09 13:45:38

Your glucose levels are stable, at a normal level.

It would never be zero, the normal range is (I think, happy to be corrected) 4-7

So it's a good result

CMOTdibbler Thu 16-Jul-09 13:46:46

It shows that over the last 8-12 weeks, your blood glucose level has been averaging around 5 - which is normal.

Whatever you eat, you must always have glucose in your blood stream else you would be dead - below 3 you start feeling very unwell. When on a keto diet, your body breaks down fat and protein to make glucose.

Theres no way of knowing what your HbA1c would have been on a normal diet

Bleatblurt Thu 16-Jul-09 13:49:35

Oh I'm so envious. I just had my blood taken today so don't have my HbA1c results back but lately I've been lucky if I'd have a reading of under 10 when I've tested. sad

4.9 is excellent, btw. grin

MumHadEnough Thu 16-Jul-09 13:52:39

Thank you all, I'd kind of talked myself into thinking I must be diabetic and that if it was eating carbs it would be sky high!

I will mention to the doc when I see her anyway that obviously that result has not come from me eating a normal diet. She knows I've been doing it though as its been helping with other problems I have.

Thanks again! grin.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: