Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Uncomfortable sticky, viscous snot which can't be removed by blowing nose

(10 Posts)
ViscousSnot Thu 16-Jul-09 12:30:20

Obviously I have changed my name for this!..but this is not a wind up and I am a regular (Fruits shoots, greggs sausage rolls etc)

Have been bothered for a few days by sticky adhesive bogeys which are stuck high up in my nose and won't shift with a good nose blow. In desperation I have tried picking my nose blush (I do wash my hands afterwards) but can't seem to get high enough up. It may seem like a trivial problem but it is really irritating as my nose feels a bit blocked, so I have to do the old mouth breathing a bit.

Any suggestions / remedies?

ViscousSnot Thu 16-Jul-09 12:39:37

Nobody wants to know the person with viscous snot sad

magso Thu 16-Jul-09 12:40:34

Would the saline nose drops (for babies and hayfer sufferers) help? I have regular blocked noses from sinusitis and find inhaling steam (in a steamy bathroom), and sterile normal saline drops/nebulised can be helpful.

jooseyfruit Thu 16-Jul-09 12:42:35

a good hot curry always make my nose run. that might dislodge them.
ooh, it'll be great when they do come out <nose picking bogey perv emoticon>

HolyGuacamole Thu 16-Jul-09 12:45:09

Agree, a good hot curry might help you.

<fingers crossed>

ViscousSnot Thu 16-Jul-09 12:55:32

I am liking the good hot curry suggestion, but suspect that Magso's suggestion may be more effective grin

doggiesayswoof Thu 16-Jul-09 12:58:27

My dd gets this! It has eased a bit now, but there was a period where we would do a good "let's clean out your nose" session before bed.

It involved... me picking her nose blush with strict instructions that she was not allowed to do it herself hmm

Horrid - I feel your pain

(The saline drops made it a bit better, not much though.)

I wondered if she was dehydrated.

ZacharyQuack Thu 16-Jul-09 12:59:11

Have you tried a steam inhalation? Boiling water in a bowl, with a bit of eucalyptus oil/Vicks/tea tree oil. Lean over bowl, towel over head and breathe through your nose for 5-10 minutes.

spinspinsugar Thu 16-Jul-09 13:00:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

milou2 Thu 16-Jul-09 13:11:19

I agree with the drink more theory so that you aren't dehydrated. Curry should loosen anything!

Also, can you put a humidifier in your bedroom at night? I do that when the children get flu or a cold. That might prevent your nose drying out overnight.

Taking a hayfever pill every day for a while might reduce the amount of snot anyway. Just a thought, we have had loads of pollen this spring and summer.

Inhaling oil of Olbas a few times a day and putting some drops on your pillow each night is good.

I think the nasal linings sort of loosen them off after a while anyway....I think I get this every so often anyway and haven't been very bothered by it. HTH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now