Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can a virus leave you feeling unbearably sad?

(5 Posts)
sameagain Thu 16-Jul-09 11:53:43

I've been fairly unwell for a few days - not flu, but bad enough to spend a good part of 4 days in bed. (hence flood of boring posts on here, sorry)

Now much better apart from being incredibly tired and feeling very very sad. I don't often get properly ill and am not good at it, so have been a bit frustrated at my inability to get things done, but this goes beyond that.

Anything can start me off crying. I found a feather DS1 gave me to look after at the park, DS1 & DS2 school reports (1 good, 1 not so good) the personalised bookmark DS2's teacher made to wish him luck in yr2, trying to arrange next term's swimming lessons, the thought of our holiday, DH making me a cup of tea, a friend's kindness. All things that I would usually either just deal with or that would make me smile. And I'm not talking about bringing a tear to the eye either, this is full blown sobbing several times a day. What's wrong with me?

ThreadWormtail Thu 16-Jul-09 11:57:56

You poor thing. It is certainly true, I think, that being ill and fluey can make you feel very very sad and emotionally fragile. Look after yourself and allow the tears. It can take a while to fully recover from a fluey thing, can't it, so give yourself a good few days of 'permission to weep'.

(Obv. if it carries on and you think there might be more to it, then talk it over with someone.)

sunburntats Thu 16-Jul-09 12:00:21

post viral fatigue, tis well known and quite normal.

go on, if you wanna sob then do it, no harm to any one.

if it makes you feel better, this is me ALL the time.

sameagain Thu 16-Jul-09 12:29:48

Bother - I just googled PVF and it says it can last for years. I'm not having that! Having lots of time on your hands is definitely very bad for you.

ThreadWormtail Thu 16-Jul-09 12:35:56

But that is v rare -- the normal thing is just feeling a bit crap for several days after the specific symptoms have cleared up. And the more you take it easy the better your recovery will be.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now