Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I had a convulsion today and it scared the hell out of me.

(20 Posts)
TheLadyEvenstar Wed 15-Jul-09 23:41:55

was home alone with ds2 who thankfully was asleep.

I swigged a mouthful of pepsi from the bottle and i felt it "stick" in my throat. I remember thinking i had indegestion and needed to belch...next thing i could feel my laptop slipping off my legs as they twitched manically along with the rest of my body. What brought me out of it was my flip flop coming off my foot and hitting the wood floor.

It really has frightened me. can't get drs appt until 29th this month.

HolyGuacamole Wed 15-Jul-09 23:54:03

That is utterly ridiculous that you have to wait TWO WEEKS for an appointment!! angry shock

Did you speak to NHS direct or anything?

Must have been very scary, I hope you are ok.

PurplePillowsinGryffindorTower Wed 15-Jul-09 23:57:13

God I hope you are okay!

Don't think you should leave it 2 weeks until you are seen tbh

Does your surgery not have emergancy appointments?

TheLadyEvenstar Wed 15-Jul-09 23:58:45

Holy, NHS direct said it was important for me to see gp today. I went to drs, was standing there the male receptionist was dealing with me then the phone rang so he called the bitch female one out and asked her to deal with me while he took the call. She said ok "right when is the soonest you can come in...oh its you i have nothing for you until the earliest date of 29th" i explained nhs direct had said i needed to see gp today and she replied 29th or nothing we are far too busy to fit YOU in.

this all started (her attitude i mean) because she was rude to me and I complained about her manner. Now she is worse than ever.

TheLadyEvenstar Wed 15-Jul-09 23:59:45

Purple yes but this madam refused to let me see a dr.

Was ok shortly after it happened as soon as i calmed down and stopped shaking and crying.

TheLadyEvenstar Thu 16-Jul-09 00:00:31

what was awful is i could see what was happening but could not do anything about it. thats what scared me.

ohbabygivemeonemorechance Thu 16-Jul-09 00:02:23

do you usually suffer with fits?
did you lose consciousness?
hope you are ok now

PurplePillowsinGryffindorTower Thu 16-Jul-09 00:03:14

OMG that is awful.

I would phone your surgery and ask to speak to your doctor, explain what happened and then tell him about the bitch receptionist from hell.

Please please please do not leave this, your health is far too important.

TheLadyEvenstar Thu 16-Jul-09 00:06:55

ohbaby, no i don't usually suffer, i lost conciousness for seconds i think. Am ok now just tired so am off to bed.

Purple, I am going to call in the morning.

HolyGuacamole Thu 16-Jul-09 00:08:37

OMG! shock These women who work in doctors receptions honestly do my head in. Is it universal that they are rude, uppity and downright nosey? Grrr! Anyway, if I were you I'd be on the phone first thing in the morning and tell them you want an emergency appointment, no two ways about it.

Purple is right, you can't wait two weeks for this and it is not up the receptionist to decide if you are worthy or not.

PurplePillowsinGryffindorTower Thu 16-Jul-09 00:09:06

Sleep well

Good luck for tomorrow, let us know how you get on.

HolyGuacamole Thu 16-Jul-09 00:10:19

OK ladyevenstar, have a good sleep and let us know how you get on.

MollieOolala Thu 16-Jul-09 00:14:09

If I had to deal with someone like that I would ask her to get the doctor to call me and sort out an appointment that way. There is no way you should be waiting 2 weeks.

ohbabygivemeonemorechance Thu 16-Jul-09 10:19:51

hope you ok today theladyevenstar,and get an emergency appt at the GPsmile

the first thing they will decide is if it sounds like the usual pattern/story of a fit[rather than faint/panic attack/heart problem etc],then if they feel it does they will refer you as a first fit will prompt an urgent referral to medical/neuro or admission

as noone witnessed it it's difficult to know atm exactly what it was

hopefully the GP will be good today

PurplePillowsinGryffindorTower Thu 16-Jul-09 22:15:35

How are you tonight TheLadyEvenstar?

I hope you got in to see your doctor today.

Have been thinking of you all day, hoping you are feeling better grin

TheLadyEvenstar Thu 16-Jul-09 22:40:16

Hi Ladies

sorry I have not been on all day!!!

Well i have not seen the gp but i have spoken to him. He thinks that where i gulped the pepsi i caused the gases to cause a kinda airlock which blocked my windpipe. causing me to pass out, and as the gases released and air started getting through again because of that it caused me to convulse. He has advised me to cut down on the fizzies and also the coffee....damn and i am a coffee addict!!!!

Thankyou all for your concern xxx

HolyGuacamole Fri 17-Jul-09 18:17:35

Glad to hear you're ok evenstar smile

minko Fri 17-Jul-09 18:26:48

Glad you are OK. There was a post the other day from a lady who swigged some cola which went down the wrong way and she fainted over her keyboard!

Cola needs a health warning!

TheLadyEvenstar Fri 17-Jul-09 19:51:04

Minko was there??? I missed that!

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 17-Jul-09 20:18:22

OMG

That has reminded me. When I was about 20 I had been burning the candle at both ends and was drinking some coke to wake me up. When it hit my stomach it really hurt so I got up and lent against the bannister. Next thing I was coming round having fainted. I always thought it was the pain in my stomach that had made me pass out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now