Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ibuprofen in early early pergnancy

(15 Posts)
slipperthief Wed 15-Jul-09 21:35:09

We've just started trying for baby no.2, but also I suspect I'll be needing a spot of ibuprofen or something similar this sunday for a likely-to-end-slightly-strained hip after a race for life run/walk.

So question is, should I be avoiding all ibuprofen this potentially early on (i.e. a little bit too early for a test) or would somthing like ib gel be okay?

whomovedmychocolate Thu 16-Jul-09 07:59:06

YES you should be avoiding ibuprofen - paracetamol is fine though.

ButterbeerAndLemon Thu 16-Jul-09 08:26:25

Apparently, according to someone on here who was prescribed ibuprofen gel by her GP and then double-checked with her pharmacist, ibuprofen gel is OK in the first trimester but not later (according to the BNF). So given that you (a) probably aren't pregnant, (b) if you are pregnant are definitely in your first trimester then I would use it if you need it.

ButterbeerAndLemon Thu 16-Jul-09 08:27:09

(but if you want to be sure you could ask your GP or a pharmacist)

whomovedmychocolate Thu 16-Jul-09 08:29:35

Diclofenac is okay in pregnancy and the doc can prescribe that - that's much stronger thank ibuprofen.

Dophus Thu 16-Jul-09 08:32:37

this is a superb website that gives scientific data ont he drugs:

www.safefetus.com/Search.asp

ButterbeerAndLemon Thu 16-Jul-09 08:33:39

Oooh, and you can get diclofenac gel too (I'd not realised that; thought it was oral only)

Dophus Thu 16-Jul-09 08:34:49

Only downside it is American and even the generic names can differ.

Essentially A and B categories are OK. Wouldn't want to take anything in C - absolutely not in cat D

Ibropofen: Essentially OK in first 2 timester - absolutely not in

Dophus Thu 16-Jul-09 08:36:41

btw - ibrprofen and diclofenac have same action and exactly the same safety profile. Diclofenac is stronger and should also not be used in third timester

whomovedmychocolate Thu 16-Jul-09 09:09:03

Dophus - I was prescribed diclofenac during late pregnancy shock. Mind you my doctors appear to have come from muppet school in many respects grin

Dophus Thu 16-Jul-09 10:18:27

I'm really surprised by that!

I don't trust all GPs and always double check. Alocum once prescibed me some antibiotics for a uterine infection following birth. It had big warning on it so called the midwife to query and she was horrified!

slipperthief Thu 16-Jul-09 19:39:55

Right, might pop into town and have a chat with my friendly local chemist then. And fall back on paracetamol if I need to. Thanks very much!

JRocks Thu 16-Jul-09 19:41:58

I was told not to take Ibuprofen in pregnancy at all.

If you're allowed diclofenac gel, the other name is Voltarol isn't it?

Joolsiam Thu 16-Jul-09 19:55:15

I'm in a lot of pain from a back problem but desperately hoping to get a positive PG test at the weekend and have a few symptoms - am assuming I should avoidibuprofen, even at this early stage ?

I desperately need some pain relief though

Claire236 Thu 16-Jul-09 20:21:33

I took ibuprofen prior to finding out I was pregnant with ds. Asked GP if it was ok & she checked & said it was fine in the first trimester.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now