Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

If I go to the doctors for help about my weight...

(9 Posts)
ElfOnTheTopShelf Wed 15-Jul-09 19:52:00

... are they likely to tell me to get out of their office and sew my mouth shut, or will they actually do anything / suggest anything to help, and if so, what?

bargainhuntingbetty Wed 15-Jul-09 19:53:39

They will referr you to a dietician who are very helpful. I am currently under the watch of a dietician and am almost at my first stone of weightloss. Only another 2 to go grin. They will definately not tell you to get out of their office as they are pleased when people recognise they have a problem and want to deal with it. Good luck to you.

AnnieLobeseder Wed 15-Jul-09 19:53:42

Depends how overweight you are, I guess. I don't think they'll dismiss you out of hand. I know that slimming groups like WW and Slimming World are sometimes prescibed on the NHS. Likewise some slimming drugs. It would depend on your situation, but they would definitely want to help you. I'd say go for it.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Wed 15-Jul-09 19:57:26

So I would just make the appointment with the docs and they'd sort out dietician or alternative?
I have done WW before, I lost a couple of stone before my wedding, but put weight back on after having DD. My weight was stable for a while, but recently i seem to have put on loads of weight, and I dont know why. Nothing seems to help in shifting it!

bargainhuntingbetty Wed 15-Jul-09 20:12:29

Yeah I would make the appointment. You could have thyroid issues or something which needs checking out before you embark on a weightloss plan. I would tell the gp all of this before you ask for help. Good luck

ElfOnTheTopShelf Wed 15-Jul-09 20:24:52


RumourOfAHurricane Wed 15-Jul-09 21:44:44

Message withdrawn

I'm planning on going to GP tomorrow and asking if I could have some Reductil. Dunno if he'll agree or not. My BMI puts me in the obese catagory (just), I know I won't get a dietician referral as there is only one NHS dietician for the area and she only sees diabetic people.

Jaquelinehyde Wed 15-Jul-09 21:52:02

Go to the Drs they will be fine and pleased to help.

Also do what Shiney says and get over to the shineycult thread, Tis very good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now