Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Putting on weight quite fast...why, other than gluttony, might that be...?

(13 Posts)
OlderNotWiser Wed 15-Jul-09 19:39:23

My weight has been steady for years but I have put on 9 pounds in the last 3 months. Im not eating more, or at least whilst I have had a bad phase lately that in itself is not uncommon IYKWIM, usually I just naturally settle again after. I feel really bloated too. Tho that could just be that my cloths are tight of course blushIronically, Im actually quite active ATM too so cant really blame sitting on my bum either.

Gahhh, I know, Im just looking for excuses, but any would be gratefully received...

Owls Wed 15-Jul-09 19:41:13

Are you feeling really tired as well? Could be underactive thyroid.

OlderNotWiser Wed 15-Jul-09 19:43:15

Well yes, but I normally am TBH. Will google it tho!

CMOTdibbler Thu 16-Jul-09 09:14:59

Last MNetter who posted this sort of thing turned out to be pg. No chance of that ?

OlderNotWiser Thu 16-Jul-09 20:12:39

Well CMOT, only if it were the second coming Im afraid...

KittyBigglesworth Fri 17-Jul-09 00:33:26

How old are you?

I hate asking people that question however hormones could be at play.

OlderNotWiser Fri 17-Jul-09 13:20:59

Don't ask Kitty...Im 40s so it could just be middle aged spread of courseshock

wilkos Fri 17-Jul-09 13:23:59

i put on 9 pounds IN A MONTH when i stopped breastfeeding!

had to do lighterlife to get rid of it sad

belgo Fri 17-Jul-09 13:29:22

Water retention due to thrush in the gut perhaps?

phdlife Fri 17-Jul-09 13:30:47

I did that last year; turned out I was pg grin. quite far gone by the time I found out too! grin

OlderNotWiser Fri 17-Jul-09 18:57:44

Have to say belgo, I actually do feel really bloated rather than fat IYKWIM. Are there any other signs if you have thrush in the gut? I have been a bit prone to thrush in all sorts of places before so its an interesting thought.

KittyBigglesworth Mon 20-Jul-09 01:18:19

Well if you feel bloated rather than fat, think yourself lucky. I just feel fat. grin
I'm carrying an exess 10lbs all around my abdomen. It's always worse when I've been eating bread though. Stay away from bread and yeast products for 5 days and see if it makes any difference.
BTW 40yrs is not old, by any stretch, don't do yourself down.

Doozle Mon 20-Jul-09 02:01:14

What about ovarian cysts? I have heard this can make you feel bloated, put on weight etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now