Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Best OTC painkillers.

(6 Posts)
Thunderduck Wed 15-Jul-09 14:42:37

I've already posted this in chat, but I think this is probably a more appropriate place for it.

What are the best OTC painkillers that you've had?

I have severe lower back pain and feel as though my spine is about to snap.
I have a doctors appointment tomorrow afternoon, but ibruprofen isn't cutting it.

Is there any stronger painkiller out there or something designed specifically for back pain?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Or perhaps someone could come over and hit me on the head with a mallet?
Dp isn't here to do so for me, and it would really help, plus it's cheap.

Weegle Wed 15-Jul-09 14:57:58

Voltarol gel - it's an anti-inflammatory (diclofenac) so you can't take ibuprofen with it. I have lower back pain from arthritis and it is the bees knees. If you don't mind feeling a bit drowsy you can also have co-codamol. You can get a lower dose OTC I think. If the voltarol gel works then the doc can prescribe you oral diclofenac, or if you are feeling brave the suppository which frankly is the best drug in the world as far as I'm concerned (and this is coming from someone who's spent the last 3 years testing everything going grin )

Thunderduck Wed 15-Jul-09 15:41:02

Thankyou I'll try the gel. And if the dr prescribes it suppositories are fine.
I don't care which orifice it goes in so long as it relives the pain.

Thunderduck Wed 15-Jul-09 15:41:15

Or perhaps even relieves it.

cocolepew Wed 15-Jul-09 15:47:51

I like Syndol it has a muscle relaxant in it, but t can make you sleepy.

tonysoprano Wed 15-Jul-09 15:55:15

solpadeine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now