Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone have experience of a sacroiliac joint Injection?

(6 Posts)
Berrie Tue 14-Jul-09 17:01:48

I saw the consultant after months of waiting the other week. He spent barely 5 minutes talking to me, I didn't get to explain anything and he offered me the injections or a 6 month open appointment for them.

As I didn't get the chance to explain to him, my back predictably 'goes' every spring, then takes until the autumn to heal. I get the impression, though I could be wrong, that the pain killing injections are for people who are in chronic pain. Although my back always hurts and I get pins and needles in one leg, I no longer take a handful of pain killers every day and I feel fairly certain that I won't be in trouble again until the New Year. (after 6 month option)
I guess I could ring and see if they could extend the 6 months. I'd just like to know a bit more about it from a real person rather than a website if possible! Hope someone can help.

herbietea Tue 14-Jul-09 17:14:53

Message withdrawn

Berrie Tue 14-Jul-09 17:50:31

Thanks...I can always feel the pain as I move but it's hardly severe. I'm not sure I'd be able to say how much or little it had helped unless it worked 100%.
How did you get your diagnosis. AIBU to have expected a proper consultation and diagnosis on a first visit?
I am most cross that I've suffered months of agony, missed work and my Dh has missed work to care for us all when there was an injection I could have had to help me.

herbietea Tue 14-Jul-09 20:28:33

Message withdrawn

morningpaper Tue 14-Jul-09 20:30:30

that is a bit odd, how do they know where the pain is coming from?

I understand that without MRIs then the injections are very (literally) hit-and-miss because they've got no idea where the inflammation might be

What drugs have you tried?

Berrie Wed 15-Jul-09 07:05:53

He opened by saying, 'So you've got pain in the S. Joint?' It was news to me. It must have been in the GP's letter.

I've tried loads of different drugs but The latest ones were Meloxicam, Tramadol and Meptid. I rarely take the Tramadol and Meptid now unless I have to sit for a long time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now