Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is there a link betwween high chocolate consumption and diabetes?

(8 Posts)
Treadmillmom Mon 13-Jul-09 22:42:11

I'm a 38 year old mother of 3, I have a BMI of 21.2 which is bang on ideal.
I have only 1 vice, chocolate.
I eat a varied healthy diet and a little bit of anything I like but I do eat chocolate every single day. I'm mad for desserts too.
On Saturday night I ate an entire Chocolate Orange and half a Sainsburys Bakewell Tart with double cream (just to give you an idea of what I can plow through).
DH say's I've got to cut out this gorging as it could lead to diabetes.
He's got me worried (she says halfway through a family bag size of peanut M&Ms), could it?sad

Claire2009 Mon 13-Jul-09 22:52:14

I personally don't think so, I'm an ideal weight and bmi is fine.

I'm a big choc/sweet eater, and I'm not diabetic or showing any signs, whatever they may be?! ...

Treadmillmom Wed 15-Jul-09 14:42:59

Bump

jasmine1979 Wed 15-Jul-09 17:48:06

I think if you do this regularly then it may put you at risk eventually of TYPE 2 Diabetes (it's important to make the distinction between this and type 1) along with other health issues.
Sound like you know it isn't too healthy for you anyway. Just because you are clearly slim also doesn't mean you are healthy.
However you say that your diet is usually varied and if you take regular exercise as well then you shouldn't have a problem.

nickytwotimes Wed 15-Jul-09 17:54:18

the second myth here

Now, I believed that myth as I thought it would bugger up your insulin production mechanisms, but I guess these guys should know better than me! grin

nickytwotimes Wed 15-Jul-09 17:55:10

try again!

cheshirekitty Wed 15-Jul-09 20:52:19

It will not give you diabetes, but chocolate is full of fat and might raise your cholesterol level.

LeonieSoSleepy Thu 16-Jul-09 08:10:41

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now