Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can someone please slap me and tell me I'm worrying about nothing... bad trip to docs today

(5 Posts)
itchyandscratchy Mon 13-Jul-09 22:29:11

I've been having funny heart palpitations for a couple of weeks now on and off - not racing but feeling like it's 'lurching' and missing beats. I put it down to stress as work has been very very busy, although I was feeling more tired than stressed really.

Anyway, had a monster heavy period this weekend and felt really washed out an awful. Palpitations got worse as well and when I got to work I decided to ring the docs. They saw me straight away.

Told the doctor everything and he agreed it was probably anxiety but he wanted me to have an initial ECG so I had one. When I went back in for the results he said they really weren't what he was expecting; he'd been to see the senior doctor, who agreed with him and they said what the ECG said was not really consistent with anxiety. I've now got to go back to have bloods done on Thurs and in the meantime they have faxed the ECG to the cardiologist at the hospital for further investigations.

My blood pressure was fine, I'm not in pain but the palpitations are very noticeable. It's obviously not imminently dangerous or they'd have admitted me I spose, but I am very worried. Been told not to have any stimulants: tea, coffee, alcohol, chocolate, fizzy drinks, etc. A virus was mentioned as an explanation which has also worried me - keep getting thoughts of doom and gloom. Dh is away for the night and I told him not to come home. Am going to bed soon and I know my mind will start wandering.

anyone got anything reassuring to tell me?

itchyandscratchy Mon 13-Jul-09 22:30:19

forgot to say - have been referred so am expecting letter from cardiologist for appointment soon.

Montifer Mon 13-Jul-09 22:39:35

Poor you, am not an expert I'm afraid but you're absolutely right, if they were at all concerned they would admit you. They always err on the side of caution with matters cardiac especially in young people (am presuming you are 'young'). Hope your appointment comes through soon so you can get some answers and hopefully sort out your symptoms and put your mind at rest. Sorry I can't be of more help. Hope you manage to get some sleep smile

itchyandscratchy Mon 13-Jul-09 22:40:59

Thanks Montifer.

and thanks for calling me young! (41 last birthday so am feeling a bit ancient and decrepit)

gymllfixit Tue 14-Jul-09 10:34:56

I get this feeling as if my heart has missed a beat and then kind of flutters just for a second. I think its called an ectopic heart beat. I often feel it most when i'm resting or tired. The more that you notice it the more you seem to get I can go weeks without noticing that I have had one then on one day it feels as though I've had about 50. I don't know if this is the same as you but perhaps the heavy period had made you tired and weak and you noticed the heart beat more. I have no other symtoms like you no chest pain or breathlessness it just something I live with. Don't know if this is relevant or helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now