Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Do you take vitamins/supplements? Feeling run down and breastfeeding....what will boost immunity?

(8 Posts)
loveverona Mon 13-Jul-09 17:08:54

I'm b/fing my 14 wk old DC3 and am feeling run down, having just had a throat infection last week. May have been strep throat which I had two years ago, and antibiotics got rid of it again, but I generally pick up most things going and I'm sick of it!

Do you take vits or supplements to give your immune system a boost? Is there anything I can take to make me generally stronger, or is this it until the kids finish school?!

Perhaps certain foods will help, but I have a good varied diet already.

And don't get me started on swine flu......

loveverona Mon 13-Jul-09 21:28:53

Anyone??

blondissimo Mon 13-Jul-09 21:29:09

A midwife suggested to me to drink Complan - it id fortified with vitamins and the vanilla one actually tastes nice if you have it hot. I was exactly like you, really run down. It was my little treat for the day!

twoisplenty Mon 13-Jul-09 21:35:34

As you have had antibiotics, they will have knocked your immune system about, so you need to go to a health shop and ask for probiotic capsules.

You say you have a balanced varied diet. If you can concentrate on fruit and salads, (as well as other foods we know we should eat) and get rid of coffee and fizzy drinks (if you have these of course), that will help a lot.

And if you have a dp/dh who can give you a lovely massage, that's a real immune booster!

loveverona Tue 14-Jul-09 09:15:47

Thanks both. Throat's flared up again overnight so back to the docs this morning. I'm going to ask her about this too, but it's really helpful to have your suggestions. I was going to look into these drinks too, as I really need to build myself up.

Of course my mum keeps saying I should give up b/fing so I don't have that extra toll on my body, but that would be a real last resort.

Astrophe Tue 14-Jul-09 09:21:02

I know it near impossible with a tiny baby, but if you can get a few hours extra sleep one day a week (maybe do a baby swap with a friend - she minds yours then you mind hers?) then I think that will help you too. Lots of fresh fruit and veg obviously, and make sure you have enough protein as too little can make you feel tired.

blondissimo Tue 14-Jul-09 10:52:04

I was exactly the same as you loveverona - totally worn out and my mum and sister kept going on at me to give up breastfeeding (even though my mum fed both of us herself until 9 months!)
I really didn't want to, but in the end it was the right thing for me to do as I had been on 3 lots of antibiotics for infections in the uterus and a really bad ear infection. It wasn't just extreme tiredness, it was sheer mental and physical exhaustion. My ds was also very very unsettled and cried non stop for hours at a time, and when you eventually put him down asleep, he would wake up crying again. I could not do anything because he would only sleep on me after being bf, so I couldn't even go to the toilet as didn't want to wake him! It was hell!
That is why I gave up - but I felt horrible about it, like we had lost our bondsad.
I think if I had felt better physically then I would have persevered.
Hope you manage to work something out and that you feel better soonsmile.

loveverona Wed 15-Jul-09 10:06:54

Thanks everyone. So, on the antibiotics again for strep throat - 2 week course this time - and have got some Complan to boost my calorie intake. Onwards and upwards...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now