Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone had \rthroscopic surgery to the knee

(18 Posts)
bellavita Sun 12-Jul-09 21:40:16

for cartilage trouble?

Can you tell me how long you had off work and how painful it was afterwards?

bellavita Sun 12-Jul-09 21:41:08

Ooops, meant to say Arthroscopic

CMOTdibbler Sun 12-Jul-09 21:43:39

DH has had it done 3 times - twice he'd have been back at work in a week max, not that much pain. Third time he had a lot of cartilage removed, had to be on crutches for 3 weeks, and was off for 5 weeks. Lot of pain tbh.

How much damage do you have on MRI ?

mckenzie Sun 12-Jul-09 21:48:19

mine was a long time ago but I think I was back at work after a week but only because the company paid for me to have taxis there and back. I don't remember much about the pain so I guess it wasn't too bad.

bellavita Sun 12-Jul-09 21:48:22

Have not had MRI scan. Went to see the consultant on Wednesday who said to go straight to surgery. He did an examination and there was lots of clicking and clunking when he moved my knee.

I have been in pain now for about 8 months and it is gradually getting worse and worse. It does not help that I am on my feet for two five hour shifts, one four hour and then another five hour stint over four days.

I waitress and work behind a bar so I think it is going to be hard. The info I have said full knee bends and kneeling will be painful and could take up to three months to get easier. I have to bend down to put some of the glasses away at work and also I have to kneel on a stool to reach some! When waitressing, I use the same leg to kick the kitchen door open to go through with plates etc.

bellavita Sun 12-Jul-09 21:49:35

Blimey CMOT - 3 times shock

expatinscotland Sun 12-Jul-09 21:52:01

i have.

it feel so much better after it's done than before with the loose cartilage!

i've had it done once on both knees.

i was back at work in a desk job a week later.

i watched mine! it was cool, seeing the inside of my joint.

bellavita Sun 12-Jul-09 21:54:57

You watched... they told me I am being put to sleep.

Glad to know that it felt much better after being done though expat.

CMOTdibbler Sun 12-Jul-09 22:03:27

I know - his knees are awful. The last one, his cartilage had split completely. Kindly, the surgeon videoed it for him, and it was like looking through white seaweed it was all so ripped up.

But other people I know who have had it done have relief really quickly and a very fast recovery, so well worth doing

expatinscotland Sun 12-Jul-09 22:06:27

Yeah, I had mine in the US. They don't use GAs unless they are medically necessary there.

So I got to watch!

With the last one (I've actually had 4 surgeries on my knees, but the other ones were more major), he found this piece about the size of a man's pinky to the middle joint on the tibial plateau and remarked, 'This must have hurt.'

No shit! I wasn't there for fun!

I was VERY atheletic at the time and it was about a month before I was back up to climbing outside and about six weeks before a big hike.

bellavita Sun 12-Jul-09 22:08:38

I think because my knee has hurt for ages now, it is hard to imagine it not hurting anymore..

Thanks for replying smile

expatinscotland Sun 12-Jul-09 22:13:56

Mine hurt like utter hell for months.

Then I went and had an accident XC skiing and dislocated the knee cap and tore the ACL in the other leg.

So I had to have that one fixed first.

Then I had to wait another 6 weeks or so to rehab that leg so I could use it well enough to cope with surgery on the cartilage leg.

bellavita Sun 12-Jul-09 22:17:53

You don't do things by halves expat do you...

expatinscotland Sun 12-Jul-09 22:19:53

It does hurt after all the local they inject into it wears off, so use your pain meds!

But then you'll start feeling like it doesn't hurt nearly as much as that loose cartilage.

Heated Sun 12-Jul-09 22:25:05

Day patient surgery, take pain relief after, don't goes home in a car with bucket seats, do your physio.

bellavita Sun 12-Jul-09 22:29:22

The nurse gave me a list of physio exercise before I left. Luckily our car does not have bucket seats!

expatinscotland Mon 13-Jul-09 18:53:53

when's your surgery, then, bella? so we can wish you luck and look for updates.

bellavita Mon 13-Jul-09 22:22:02

It is the 1st September!

I could have had it done this week, but I had offered to cover some holiday shifts before I saw the consultant and I cannot get out of it now. We then go on holiday and because it is a long haul flight, I have to wait a week after getting back before they operate due to dvt and stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now