This is page 1 of 1 (This thread has 18 messages.)
Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.
DH has had it done 3 times - twice he'd have been back at work in a week max, not that much pain. Third time he had a lot of cartilage removed, had to be on crutches for 3 weeks, and was off for 5 weeks. Lot of pain tbh.
mine was a long time ago but I think I was back at work after a week but only because the company paid for me to have taxis there and back. I don't remember much about the pain so I guess it wasn't too bad.
Have not had MRI scan. Went to see the consultant on Wednesday who said to go straight to surgery. He did an examination and there was lots of clicking and clunking when he moved my knee.
I have been in pain now for about 8 months and it is gradually getting worse and worse. It does not help that I am on my feet for two five hour shifts, one four hour and then another five hour stint over four days.
I waitress and work behind a bar so I think it is going to be hard. The info I have said full knee bends and kneeling will be painful and could take up to three months to get easier. I have to bend down to put some of the glasses away at work and also I have to kneel on a stool to reach some! When waitressing, I use the same leg to kick the kitchen door open to go through with plates etc.
Yeah, I had mine in the US. They don't use GAs unless they are medically necessary there.
So I got to watch!
With the last one (I've actually had 4 surgeries on my knees, but the other ones were more major), he found this piece about the size of a man's pinky to the middle joint on the tibial plateau and remarked, 'This must have hurt.'
No shit! I wasn't there for fun!
I was VERY atheletic at the time and it was about a month before I was back up to climbing outside and about six weeks before a big hike.
I could have had it done this week, but I had offered to cover some holiday shifts before I saw the consultant and I cannot get out of it now. We then go on holiday and because it is a long haul flight, I have to wait a week after getting back before they operate due to dvt and stuff.