Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Something GROSS happened with my mooncup last night - anyone had the same? might be TMI for most people, post-sunday dinner

(10 Posts)
itchyandscratchy Sun 12-Jul-09 15:23:36

I was on the third day of my period yesterday and it was a really heavy one. My mooncup is shit on very heavy days and always leaks but I cope with using it and an Always towel. After day 2 I can usually just use the mooncup. I've tried different methods to get it 'water-tight' but it doesn't seem to ever cope.

So as it was extra-awful yesterday, I bought some heavy duty tampons and used one in the evening instead of the mooncup. When I went to bed I took the tampon out but strangely it was quite dry with not a huge amount of blood, so I decided that the worst must be over and I would put the mooncup in for bed. I stood at the sink to put it in and pulled pjs up but as soon as I moved I felt something 'go' so I shuffled over to the loo and tried to take the mooncup back out.

(and this is the gross bit, so sorry...) It was absolutely FULL to the brim with blood and clots, so much so that it spilled out over my hand and arm. It felt like my insides had come out with it and I went all shaky for a bit so just sat there on the loo. I cleaned myself up and put a tampon up for bed. This morning I hadn't leaked but the bleeding was still on the heavy side. It's been okish all day now but have stuck to the tampons.

what was all that about then? Did the mooncup create a horrible suction effect and clear me out or what? still a bit freaked out by what happened.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 12-Jul-09 15:26:27

It's quite common to get flooding like this on day two if you do have really heavy periods. Anaemia can cause excessive bleeding. It's worth asking your GP to check your iron levels and perhaps prescribe some nefamic acid or traxemic acid to reduce the flow.

But yes it does sound like your mooncup had a suction effect (yerks!)

Jaquelinehyde Sun 12-Jul-09 15:27:04

I have no idea what this could be but, it doesn't sound healthy!

itchyandscratchy Sun 12-Jul-09 15:32:08

i never used to get periods this heavy sad. Another highlight of being post-40 I expect then? hmm

I have been really run down and tired recently.. I'd put it down to work and the kids.

itchyandscratchy Sun 12-Jul-09 15:33:16

sorry - forgot to say thanks. might warrant some further investigation.

peanuthead Mon 13-Jul-09 19:10:03

I always got this with mine - why i stopped using it - when i took it out it often used to spray the toilet walls with blood. But I assumed this was a normal amount of blood....

Bella21 Mon 13-Jul-09 19:25:25

I explained a mooncup to dh and he said 'oh, you mean a sink plunger?' so that would explain the effect...grin

RumourOfAHurricane Mon 13-Jul-09 21:28:41

Message withdrawn

Bumperslucious Mon 13-Jul-09 21:57:19

If you fold the cup as you are removing it it shouldn't suction, it should release it.

MamaMuesli Tue 14-Jul-09 22:21:18

No but my coil came out along with it yesterday for the SECOND time. Vasectomy for DH...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now