Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

When you feel sad, and you dont know why you feel sad, what do you do to stop feeling sad?

(24 Posts)
ElfOnTheTopShelf Sun 12-Jul-09 14:09:32

Title says it all really!

squeaver Sun 12-Jul-09 14:11:42

Go for a walk.

Phone a friend - not to talk about being sad, just to talk silly shite.

Tummum Sun 12-Jul-09 14:12:45

Eat chocolate !

ElfOnTheTopShelf Sun 12-Jul-09 14:16:30

I dont feel like eating, even chocolate.
Friends are all unavaiable today - they have suddenly got lives grin

HecatesTwopenceworth Sun 12-Jul-09 14:17:56

read or watch something funny.
play with the kids.
look through photos.
talk to dh.

coppola Sun 12-Jul-09 14:19:22

sometimes i watch Lost in Translation. sort of melancholic and uplifting.

chevre Sun 12-Jul-09 14:21:05

do something practical you have been putting off. i just repainted bedside tables! don't sit on mn!

GwarchodwrPlant Sun 12-Jul-09 14:26:20

Either just accept it and know that it will pass and get on with your day.

or get out of the house for a change of scene

or try to work out why you're feeling sad- there will be a reason- however small it may be or it may be an accumulation of small things. Usually for me it's something I've been thinking about that's made me unhappy but I'm not aware I'm even thinking about it.

or listen to some sad music it usually makes me so sick of my melancholy state that I am able to snap out of it.

moffat Sun 12-Jul-09 14:29:33

I just wait for the day to end - not much help I know. Other posters have much better suggestions.

swanriver Sun 12-Jul-09 14:43:08

Do some small mindless physical task which has a beginning and end even if seems pointless.
Scrubbing anything always makes one feel a bit better.
My mum used to pull up brambles when feeling low, it never failed to cheer her hmm

WannaBeAKitchenGardener Sun 12-Jul-09 14:44:35

enjoy the melancholy while it lasts? create imaginary world around it, in which you are a consumptive poet or something?

melmog Sun 12-Jul-09 14:46:36

I normally give in to it and have a wallow for a bit. Watch a soppy film or something. Then give myself a shake and go out and do some gardening (pulling up bindweeed cheers me up for some reason) or go for a walk or something.

Then the next day I normally come on!

Frizbe Sun 12-Jul-09 14:48:50

Go for a walk, amble round the garden if you have one, or have a nice long bath, with a good book, chocolate and no children (if you can)

ElfOnTheTopShelf Sun 12-Jul-09 14:53:26

thanks.
we're supposedly off to the park now, see if that makes me smile.

Onlyjoking Sun 12-Jul-09 14:58:43

music often helps lift my mood, i always feel better if i have something to do, you dont live far from me and i am very sure i could find you lots of things to do wink

ElfOnTheTopShelf Sun 12-Jul-09 15:01:19

we're off to the park they redid up on carlton road, looks fab, if not overrun with screaming children wink

Onlyjoking Sun 12-Jul-09 21:13:25

How you feeling now?

mummyloveslucy Sun 12-Jul-09 21:32:27

Cuddle my daughter, it's instant upliftment or watch her sleeping. smile

MrsMattie Sun 12-Jul-09 21:34:33

Bad stuff - stuff my face; go out with friends and get shitfaced.

Good stuff - sleep; have a bubble bath and curl up in bed with a good book/good film; have long telephone convo with my sis or mum; snuggle up for a cuddle with my DH; have a good cry.

Montifer Sun 12-Jul-09 21:37:47

Physical exertion - walk, swim, gardening - anything to get the endorphins flowing, they are wondrous chemicals, guaranteed to make you smile

ElfOnTheTopShelf Mon 13-Jul-09 18:21:35

Well, we went to the park, which did make me smile as DD loved the new see-saw-swing type thing they have.
Felt sad when we went, dropped DD's at my mums as she was stopping there, then me and DH went to the cinema. We saw "My Sisters Keeper" and I thought I'd cry and get it all out, but I was so outraged with the change of ending from the book that I just couldn't cry, so I felt a bit cheated!

broccoliandchips Mon 13-Jul-09 18:26:50

Chocolate - all the way

LilianGish Mon 13-Jul-09 18:30:01

Cuddle my kids - they never, ever fail to cheer me up!

ElfOnTheTopShelf Mon 13-Jul-09 21:16:50

I ordered my shopping during the right down in the dumpness, its costing £130 rather than the usual £50, dread to think what I have impulsed brought!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now