Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hip replacement and recovery,any advice anyone?

(4 Posts)
pinkhousesarebest Sat 11-Jul-09 21:19:29

Not for me just yet,thank goodness,but my dad has had one done almost two weeks ago now and in in constant discomfort, despite oodles of painkillers. He is finding it impossible to sleep,and has to sit on a hospital chair downstairs during the day,so uncomfortable there too. Anyone any ideas on how to help him cope? Does physio not have a role in getting him back on the road to recovery? He has been left with no aftercare at all. Is this normal? My mum has Alzheimers so life is pretty bleak here at the moment.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sat 11-Jul-09 21:26:22

No, not normal at this stage to be in constant discomfort despite lots of painkillers.

How is he walking? Has he had equipment provided (chair raises, loo seat raises etc) to help him functionally atm?
Has he got a follow up appt at the hospital for a few weeks time?

He should have some follow up with physio if he's struggling.

Has he got a follow up appt in the hospital in a few weeks?

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Sat 11-Jul-09 22:20:24

My mum had her hip replaced about 4 years ago and she was definitely up and about ( around the house, not outside) within two weeks. I don't remember her having physio at this point but I'm sure she wasn't in much pain.

Can you speak with the consultant/surgeon?

pinkhousesarebest Sun 12-Jul-09 22:52:55

Thank you both. What really bothers me is that he has been left with no support. One visit from the G.P, who is now on holiday,no follow up as yet from the hospital, apparently that will happen in the next six weeks,if I could work out italics I would be using them with vigour. I am going to call the locum tomorrow,as he is getting no sleep and is in pain.he is also the carer for my mum,who is a job in herself. I live abroad so it is shocking to see this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now