Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Aloe gel drink? Anyone got any views?

(14 Posts)
Katisha Sat 11-Jul-09 17:07:08

I've just had the hard sell on aloe gel drink
which apparently is marvellous for digestion, skin and joints and general well-being.

All well and good but it is also about £17 for a two-week supply.

Does anyone use it? Is it actually good?

cornsilk Sat 11-Jul-09 17:08:57

I use it. I think it has improved my digestion and I am less bloated after a day at work. Haven't noticed any difference to my skin but my nails are definitely stronger.

squeaver Sat 11-Jul-09 17:12:58

Oh I was going to start a thread about this the other day. I was telling someone about putting aloe vera on sunburn and she said she drank it every day.

I must say, I thought <boak>.

What does it taste like?

cornsilk Sat 11-Jul-09 17:13:24

It tastes vile.

KnickKnack Sat 11-Jul-09 17:13:35

Aloe vera is fab, but its not expensive.

anyone trying to sell you a 2 week supply for £17 is ripping you off big time.

Optima Aloe Pura is a really good brand, one of the best I know. It is £5.85 for 500ml which lasts for about 3 weeks (I think).

squeaver Sat 11-Jul-09 17:14:30

So I was right smile

KnickKnack Sat 11-Jul-09 17:15:30

It doesn't taste great, but its not too bad if you have a mouthful of orange juice afterwards (ie the taste doesn't linger in your mouth)

I've used aloe gel on my face everyday for the last 5 years or so. Its great for lines, wrinkles, dry skin.

KnickKnack Sat 11-Jul-09 17:17:23

I would hazard a guess that the brand the OP was offered was by Forever something (can't remember name) or another pyramid type scheme.

Katisha Sat 11-Jul-09 18:05:41

Yes it was Forever Aloe. This was at a farmers' market type event - you have to get it from a Forever Aloe rep - you can't do anytihng as obvious as get it online!
And of course only their brand has the right kind of extraction methods and subsequent zillions of nutrients.

I would like DH to give it a go for his joints and assorted low-level ailments but the woman said you have to drink it for a couple of months before you see any benefit which means shelling out about £100 for the experiment.

But if someone were to come on here and say it was as miraculous as it needs to ne for that price i would consider it - works out at about £1.70 a day.

cornsilk Sat 11-Jul-09 18:47:38

Thanks for that knickknack - I get mine from Forever Living. Will buy from that link next time.

KnickKnack Sat 11-Jul-09 19:04:53

It will take about 2 months to see benefits, some will see results after 2/3 weeks...some will take longer than 2 months.

Forever Living, yep thats the crowd...tis all about the money, sell more, get more people "under" you, hard sell, make more money etc. All the stuff they sprout applies to any decent brand (regardless of price). They once told me (at a farmers market i think) that theirs was the only "real certified brand". If you look at the picture of the Optima one, it has the certification symbol too grin

I wouldn't necessarily say it was miraculous but most people notice a general health improvement and feeling of well-being. Might notice it helps with joints, skin, digestive, lots of other various bits and bobs.

KnickKnack Sat 11-Jul-09 19:05:50

Forgot to add, you can get the Optima one in any good health shop, and various other online stores.

Katisha Sat 11-Jul-09 19:34:21

Great thanks - will go to the health food shop instead!

how do Forever get away with charging so much then?

KnickKnack Sat 11-Jul-09 20:57:11

I suppose like most pyramid schemes they are well trained in the art of sounding convincing/persuasive, given all the right lines to use.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now