Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

LONG lasting diarrhoea - is a week normal?

(8 Posts)
funlovingcriminal Sat 11-Jul-09 16:36:24

my 2 year old son has had nasty diarrhoea for 6 days now. I took him to docs twice and they said he has a virus and we have to ride it out. In the last day or two he refuses to eat and won't drink anything but water..any drinkable remedies are out of the question because he doesn't want them. He has eaten a couple of crakers today bit that's it. I am starting to worry now. He also has a cough which the doc says could be part of the virus.

Doea anyone have experience of it lasting that long? Should I seek further advice on this? He's in goodish spirits, but is a bit whingy sometimes..poor thing.

I am just looking for some reassurance or advice on what I could do. thanks.

herbietea Sat 11-Jul-09 16:51:12

Message withdrawn

funlovingcriminal Sat 11-Jul-09 16:59:44

Thanks for your reply, I don't live in UK..so we don't have the wonderful NHS direct!

He has been weeing OK until today and he's only done two today, this is one of the reasons that I am worrying a bit more.

good to hear that someone else has it this long, sorry it's your mum though!

herbietea Sat 11-Jul-09 17:04:01

Message withdrawn

funlovingcriminal Sat 11-Jul-09 17:08:28

he doesn't want an ice lolly - he's a very stubborn little boy at the best of times!

the only option is hospital today or docs on monday. I don't know whether I am being paranoid to take him to hospital though.

loopylou6 Sun 12-Jul-09 13:05:29

i remember my dd has this a couple of years ago, i just rode it out though

hazeyjane Sun 12-Jul-09 13:14:18

Would he have any jelly or icecream? Nhs direct said these were good if they won't drink. When dd1 had dehydration we had to make up dioralyte and give her a little in a medicine syringe every 10 minutes.

HTH

admylin Sun 12-Jul-09 13:20:41

My ds had a week of diarrhoea and he would have had to go to hospital after 6 days to be put on a drip if he hadn't been drinking but I sat and spooned liquid into him every 5 or 10 minutes. Hope he gets better soon, it really wealens them doesn't it, poor thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now