Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Genital Warts

(24 Posts)
embarrasingproblem Wed 18-May-05 16:19:19

I have changed my name for this as im obviously embarrased but yesterday i found a small lump on my inner lip of my vagina its quite itchy and kind of sore, i have had one before in a different place but it went away, i think it may be genital warts but cant be sure as i have only ever slept with dp and we were both virgins when we met, and i know he has never cheated. anyway has anyone ever had genital warts if so can i buy something over the counter or do i have to go to the dr?

spykid Wed 18-May-05 16:21:05

you MUST GO TO DOCS, RATHER THAN TRYING TO SELF TREAT.
(wHOOPS, caps!)
It could be a simple cyst or blocked gland.

colditz Wed 18-May-05 16:21:56

If it is a genital wart, I would definatly talk to your dp, as these are sexually transmitted. And yes, you have to go to the dr, because you don't know what it is.

expatinscotland Wed 18-May-05 16:23:24

you can contract genital warts, which are a strain of HPV (human papilloma virus), w/o having intercourse.

the virus can also lie dormant in the body for a long time, if not indefinitely. so it's possible to have contracted it before you and your partner met. on either side.

please see your GP, well-woman, or STD clinic and have it checked out.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 18-May-05 16:24:23

I had a partner who had genital warts, although I've not had them myself. They are endemic - something like 35% of people in their 30s have them.

At any rate. If it itches and hurts it is not a wart. Warts do not itch and hurt. This sounds like a pimple or ingrown hair.

If you want to check what it is, there is an easy way to find out - dab a little bit of white vinegar on the bump. If it is a wart, the bump will go bright white - it is unmistakable. This is how docs check for warts. (Obviously I've been checked a few times.)

embarassingproblem Wed 18-May-05 16:24:32

ok have tot ake ds to docs for check up tomorrow anyway so will make an appointment just dont want drs to judge me if it is g.w i dont sleep around or anything. but will defo go just to get checked

Bugsy2 Wed 18-May-05 16:25:15

If it is itchy & sore it could be herpes. Go & get it diagnosed. If you can't bear to go to the doctor then go to your local GUM clinic.

embarassingproblem Wed 18-May-05 16:27:07

i dont think its a pimple as it doesnt have a head on it it wasnt so big but i felt it to see if i could identify it now its slightly bigger i have no problem going to my drs and i will , i do shave so could it be anything to do with that??

NotQuiteCockney Wed 18-May-05 16:31:49

Sounds like an ingrown hair. Going to your docs won't do any harm. It certainly isn't warts, as they don't hurt or itch.

embarassingproblem Wed 18-May-05 16:34:15

thanks will get it checked tomorrow just hope its not a malignant (dont know how to spell it) lump anyone know what they look like?

Clarinet60 Thu 19-May-05 11:00:47

I had warts diagnosed over 10 years ago (by hospital lab) - I was recalled after a suspect smear test. They don't come very often, but when they do, they are itchy and sore. The GPs in my surgery say there is no treatment for them (but who knows?!). I had to have a smear every year for a few years because of the PAP virus's association with cervical cancer. But about 6 years ago they gave up doing this and put me back onto normal smear frequency. The nurse just said 'well you can't carry on having a smear test every year for the rest of your life, can you?'
!!!

NotQuiteCockney Thu 19-May-05 11:20:19

Oh, Droile, I didn't know they could be itchy and sore. They can treat them, at least when my partner had them, they were treated, and went away. (The treatments were pretty horrid, though.)

Nearly everyone who's sexually active has HPV these days, from what I know, so extra paps etc are not necessarily worth it - it is worth having your cervix properly checked for warts, though, just to be safe. Or at least that's what I've been told (and done).

Clarinet60 Thu 19-May-05 11:41:39

Thanks notquitecockney.
Strangely enough, DH has never shown any signs of them, even after all this time. Perhaps it's because they make their present felt so we keep away from each other at those times.

charleepeters Thu 19-May-05 11:42:52

ok havent changed my name this time cant be arsed i got it checked this morning it was just an infected cist nothing to worry about, got some cream should be gone in 2-3 days thanks you lot

NotQuiteCockney Thu 19-May-05 14:57:28

I lived with someone for 3.5 years, about a year in, he found out he had genital warts. He'd had these very slowly spreading bumps on his foreskin for ages. He went to the doc for something else in that area that was bugging him, and the doc pretty much said "that's nothing, but what on earth is that?".

They'd caused him no pain or discomfort. But getting rid of them was really horrid - they had to use electricity eventually. They tried chemicals, then freezing them, then electricity, which finally did the trick. Ugh.

Obviously we were careful after that, until he was fully healed. But I didn't seem to catch them at all. An ex of his had caught them (or given them to him, originally, who knows?).

At any rate, charleepeters, I'm glad to hear you're ok. These sorts of scares can be quite unpleasant, particularly if the implications (someone's been playing away) are alarming.

expatinscotland Thu 19-May-05 15:03:03

I'd like to point out that the strain of virus (HPV) that causes genital warts is different to the ones which cause cell abnormalities on the cervix. It is, however, very possible to carry multiple strains of HPV, so it's important to have a smear if you are diagnosed with genital warts.

Let us know how it goes w/your check up, Embarrasing!

NotQuiteCockney Thu 19-May-05 16:39:26

expat, I think charleepeters is embarassingproblem - so it turned out to be a cyst, not a wart or herpes. Thank goodness.

handlemecarefully Thu 19-May-05 16:42:28

I wish people wouldn't feel embarrassed by this. Nobody is embarrassed by cervical cancer and that is also a sexually transmitted disease (albeit far more serious obviously)

I don't mind admitting that I have had genital warts;

I'VE HAD GENITAL WARTS EVERYBODY, LOOK AT ME!

Sorry not being rude to you EP, just trying to say don't feel all sheepish about it.

You need to go to a GUM clinic (genito urinary medicine) to get them dealt with

handlemecarefully Thu 19-May-05 16:43:49

Should have read the whole thread - see you 'came out' below CP!

handlemecarefully Thu 19-May-05 16:46:43

Droile - hello fellow warty pants! I had a similar experience to you (borderline changes on my smear test related to the HPV, and annual smears for a few years)

charleepeters Thu 19-May-05 17:46:23

so glad i got it checked i was so worried about it incase it was anything more sinister, and i was so happy i went my gp is a lovley lady who talked me through what it was (cist) and reasured me that i was right to get it checked ands hed dint mind as she sees so many parts a day it doesnt bother her, she made me feel totally at ease and now i have nothing to worry about!

handlemecarefully Thu 19-May-05 22:03:12

Good for you cp!

Clarinet60 Thu 19-May-05 22:04:42

No wonder you're called "Handlemecarefully"!
Glad to know I'm not the only one, because in real life, I don't know anyone else who has/had them annually.

handlemecarefully Thu 19-May-05 22:47:32

Lol - very good Droile!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now